Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Sponsor

Sorry you feel that way DJ. For those that do want to save money, propane is the way to go. That's a no brainer.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What are the differences as far as consumption?

We are around .8 gph running 20 hp, and 1.13 running 31 hp diesels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlpg View Post
Sorry you feel that way DJ. For those that do want to save money, propane is the way to go. That's a no brainer.
There is no feelings about it just facts behind it. I have talked with most suppliers in my area, sat down and talked to the head of the mn propane association. They are not game in the area. I'm their ideal customer and it doesn't happen. Unless I fork over a bunch for a refueling station myself, then the ROI is too long to make it work well.

Its cheaper to either fill out the forms to get your road tax back or get a bulk gas tank and buy it without road tax.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
What are the differences as far as consumption?

We are around .8 gph running 20 hp, and 1.13 running 31 hp diesels.
Posted via Mobile Device
They will say it consumes the same. 20% more propane is more in line as to the BTU difference with the fuels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
They will say it consumes the same. 20% more propane is more in line as to the BTU difference with the fuels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
There is no feelings about it just facts behind it. I have talked with most suppliers in my area, sat down and talked to the head of the mn propane association. They are not game in the area. I'm their ideal customer and it doesn't happen. Unless I fork over a bunch for a refueling station myself, then the ROI is too long to make it work well.

Its cheaper to either fill out the forms to get your road tax back or get a bulk gas tank and buy it without road tax.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
If you have time, I'd like the opportunity to discuss things with you. I would admit few have good facts to support it. I was up in MN at a landscape show in Jan and many were behind the curve when it came to propane. I'd love to chat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
If you have time, I'd like the opportunity to discuss things with you. I would admit few have good facts to support it. I was up in MN at a landscape show in Jan and many were behind the curve when it came to propane. I'd love to chat.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was there also and is when I sat down with the head of the mnpa. He can't get his members (my suppliers) into it.

I know the deal on propane. Have 4yr degree in automotive engineering technology. Seen it on dynos, seen the engines torn down, it has its place, I get that. But when there is fed and state money to help convert over but then the mower mfg's just jack up the mower price the same amount then its a net 0. When converting older mowers in the fleet its $750 to $900 per unit. And again unless you can get propane at that $1.80ish range (which you can't with tank exchange so that gets you to refueling stations) it takes over a year to get your ROI (mowing season is much shorter up here). Again that is to net 0. Doesn't account for getting the fuel, etc.

Then add the fact that a propane supplier on here 2yrs ago said the propane price varies to the price of gas so it was always slightly less expensive. That shows that price gauging in my eyes is happening in the industry. That post was deleted a couple hrs after I pointed it out.

The propane industry and mfg's just need to want to make it happen compared to wanting to make the most profit out of it. If you can get propane at $1.50 for your house, the mower tank should be pretty close to that price also. Not jacked because gas costs xyz!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by djagusch; 03-25-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
I was there also and is when I sat down with the head of the mnpa. He can't get his members (my suppliers) into it.

I know the deal on propane. Have 4yr degree in automotive engineering technology. Seen it on dynos, seen the engines torn down, it has its place, I get that. But when there is fed and state money to help convert over but then the mower mfg's just jack up the mower price the same amount then its a net 0. When converting older mowers in the fleet its $750 to $900 per unit. And again unless you can get propane at that $1.80ish range (which you can't with tank exchange so that gets you to refueling stations) it takes over a year to get your ROI (mowing season is much shorter up here). Again that is to net 0. Doesn't account for getting the fuel, etc.

Then add the fact that a propane supplier on here 2yrs ago said the propane price varies to the price of gas so it was always slightly less expensive. That shows that price gauging in my eyes is happening in the industry. That post was deleted a couple hrs after I pointed it out.

The propane industry and mfg's just need to want to make it happen compared to wanting to make the most profit out of it. If you can get propane at $1.50 for your house, the mower tank should be pretty close to that price also. Not jacked because gas costs xyz!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Great points, but not all companies price based off the cost of gas prices. I'd still love the opportunity to talk as I am one that wants to advance the cause, not derail it. Like you, we are a little different from the competition. Not everyone does things the same. Guys like yourself are a great when new technologies come out for feedback purposes. I'm in this from a national level where we have seen great success, so discussing the roadblocks you are seeing better the entire evolution of propane mowers. Thanks for the dialogue.
Posted via Mobile Device