Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok lets hear it...

I have been in the green industry for a few years, just never posted here before. I would love to hear what you guys think....

www.ecologiclighting.com

Thank you!!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the show.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome! This is the crazy house! Lol
13 Husqavarna 323
Accelerator 4.2 cu
7x16 Sure-Trac open trailer
http://www.360lawncarenc.com/
Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologiclighting View Post
I have been in the green industry for a few years, just never posted here before. I would love to hear what you guys think....

www.ecologiclighting.com

Thank you!!
Hi! My immediate reaction is that it's a nice, clean site. A few thoughts:
  • I'd like to see a gallery of your work.
  • You should include the top keyword for each page in the page title tag (for example, on your home page, have the title tag be something like "Atlanta Outdoor Lighting - Ecologic Lighting, LLC")
  • Normally I'm not a fan of white type on black background because it can be hard to read, but given your business I think it makes sense
  • It looks like you are doing "domain masking" which is a GoDaddy feature that lets you point your domain to another site (www.jasonmccranie.com/ecologic/). This has all kinds of issues. Have your web developer set it up so your domain is properly hosted instead of masked.
  • Move your phone # to the top of the page. On the home page, it's easy to spot, but on longer pages like the blog it gets buried.
  • Can you get rid of the "Admin Login" link in the navigation?
  • On the home page, tell your visitor what you want them to do. How do they get started? Do I call you for a free consultation? I know it seems obvious but to a consumer that doesn't know your business it isn't.

Looks like you've done some beautiful work!

Aaron
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know when I read your blog on the webpage I thought of how I post videos of my kids on utube and send links to my family. I send out lets say 15 emails to my family and a week later I see 5 views. All the family TELLS me they watched "right away". Sure they did.

I saw the blog read count was at 10 and it made me relate back to my utube. That is a nice site, it doesn't look or read like amateur hour. Very nice, you should be proud of that.

You do all the work BY HAND?!? Ouch
Old 02-28-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First thing that I noticed, was that other than saying "Georgia low voltage license holder" I had no idea what area you service, and even then, do you service the whole state? If I was looking for your service, I would just have to go off of the clue that area code 404 is not my area, you location could not be found.. (geek web joke there... 404 - not found

So then I go and grab the main paragraph that tells me about your company and google that. You are no where to be found* in search results. (* I searched first 5 pages of results, which in terms of what someone actually searching for something, that equates to being no-where)

Then I decide, lets see what google has indexed on you, and wow... Only ONE result, and there is no title or description for it. See here: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...iclighting.com

How new is your site? If it is not brand new, you have problems when it comes to SEO.

I went and looked at the source of the site, here all your domain does is feed full size frame of a page at your designers site. Thus every link on your site, is not actually at your site, Now I see why google only has one page indexed for your domain. There is really no good reason for someone who has their own domain to do this. If the site is live for the public it should be on your own domain, so search engines see it as it's own site, associated with your domain name.

Visually speaking, overall I like the site, except for two issues. 1, the social bar down the side, really stands out like a sore thumb on a dark themed page, especially since it is slow loading enough that it looks like a "growing" column as different data loads. 2, I think it could use a little more padding on the sides of the main content to bring it in more.

I see that your designer used Artisteer for the template. Surprising that there are no header tags on the site. (one of my pet peeves with the program is it by default puts the site name as the <h1>, and I always have to change it when I export a template). Search engines like header tags. I don't have it off the top of my head, but there are many references in this section of the forum to googles guide to the basics of SEO.

The "Admin Login" in the main menu is pointless. Are you expecting the public to try to login? At the very least move it to a small link in the footer, but really, you should either have it bookmarked or being going to it enough (since you have a "blog", which should be updated often) that you should be able to start typing the URL and the browser autocompletes it. Just for fun, since there is a link there for it, I tried to register for your site. I filled out the form, and got a "verification" email that was addressed "from" your web developer's email address, wow, it sent me via plain text e-mail a copy of the password I told it I wanted to use. Very bad practice in terms of privacy and security. Good thing I didn't use one I use elsewhere.

Well I have to go for now, will check back later to really nit pick things, but definitely, if this site isn't brand spanking new, you have major SEO issues with google.

-Greg
Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
Then I decide, lets see what google has indexed on you, and wow... Only ONE result, and there is no title or description for it. See here: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...iclighting.com

I went and looked at the source of the site, here all your domain does is feed full size frame of a page at your designers site. Thus every link on your site, is not actually at your site
Ouch... He's made you brochureware, in the truest sense of the word.

Luckily, the domain registration indicates it's a new site. Definitely get on your web guy asap. Looking at his own domain, he's just not very good at basic web tech. You'll also want to choose to be WWW.ecologiclighting.com or just ecologiclighting.com. Your site renders with both, which is viewed as two, distinctly different sites. Same goes for http://www.jasonmccranie.com/
Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you guys very much for your input. Yes the site is brand new, like 2 weeks.

The reason I came here to ask was because I was also alarmed by the fact that when I Googled it , it was if I didnt exist. That sent up massive red flags to me. I honestly dont know why its indexed under his name as well , but i am going to show him these answers and let him hash it out. If he cant Im going to find someone who can because I see other sites that are absolutely awful come up on the first page of Google .

I am going to redo the copy for him and indicate that I am in Atlanta area and service all of North Georgia with more keyword as well. I just realized that I didnt even have that on the home page. Hello!! LOL.

As far as my work goes, I had over 500 photos that got lost when my old external harddrive took a dump on me last Fall. I have it at the computer place here near me seeing if they can retrieve the files. ( I hope so) .

Thank you for your input. I have spent hours and hours on Lawnsite but I left it a few years ago due to the constant fighting in the forum I liked. Ill bet you can guess which one it was.....

Keep it coming because I want this site to be awesome. I do think its pleasing to the eye , but when Google came up ZERO , I knew it was time to get some other input.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologiclighting View Post
I honestly dont know why its indexed under his name as well
Technically all of your "site" is not at your domain, it is on his, your domains just says "hey, take this other site and display it here, in a frame that is 100% size of the browser window. Here is the actual code for "your domain":

HTML Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>

<head>
  <title>Ecologic Lighting L.L.C. </title>
  <META name="description" content="Ecologic Lighting is a locally owned and operated, out-door lighting company."><META name="keywords" content="Ecologic Lighting, atlanta, georgia, outdoor, LED, L.E.D., installation, repair, retrofit, service, repair, cobb, marietta">
</head>
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
  <frame src="http://www.jasonmccranie.com/ecologic" frameborder="0" />
  <frame frameborder="0" noresize />
</frameset>

<!-- pageok -->
<!-- 05 -->
<!-- -->
</html>
Interesting thing is, if you google the "description" listed here, you get 3 results.

1. Your site content that is on your developer's domain (which is displaying in the frame)

2 & 3, links to a facebook page for "Dixie Promotions" saying they did your site.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
I went and looked at the source of the site, here all your domain does is feed full size frame of a page at your designers site. Thus every link on your site, is not actually at your site, Now I see why google only has one page indexed for your domain. There is really no good reason for someone who has their own domain to do this.
Wow, that's weird. Each page's source is only 18 lines of code.
And when you go to the page it's fed from <http://www.jasonmccranie.com/ecologic/>, you see the full source.

Why would the designer do that?