Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely...

I run Shindaiwa T242 string trimmers for trimming and edging...

So, after I cut a bed in, I maintain it with the string trimmer upside down. I do the same for edging along sidewalks, curbs, driveways, etc...

I do not own a stick edger, I am not against them though, just trained to use string trimmers...

Now, in the spring, I always re-fresh my bed edges with the square edgers to regain the edge...

I mentioned above that I am looking into a bed edger attachment for my Walker that will re-cut the beds as well. This can be beneficial for LONG beds or for speed on multiple beds....
Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Absolutely...

So, after I cut a bed in, I maintain it with the string trimmer upside down. I do the same for edging along sidewalks, curbs, driveways, etc...

I do not own a stick edger, I am not against them though, just trained to use string trimmers...

Now, in the spring, I always re-fresh my bed edges with the square edgers to regain the edge...

I mentioned above that I am looking into a bed edger attachment for my Walker that will re-cut the beds as well. This can be beneficial for LONG beds or for speed on multiple beds....
Forget the attachment for the Walker. That means you need a trailer to re-edge beds. I personally prefer it all by hand no matter that. I'm old school (aka stupid lol) that way.

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Bed-Redefiners --- These are on nearly every crew around here now. They do a really great job and you don't need a trailer to get them to a property. Plus you have a lot more control with these around tight beds and in crowded areas (like between a bed and a tree.)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Absolutely...

NICE!!! I just bought an Echo stick edger for sidewalks and driveways. I've never tried a string trimmer on my bed edges. I will definitely give it a try if winter will ever end!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen those Bed-Redefiners Pro-Lawn and Grounds... And they actually look great... I have been more interested in Echo recently since the Yamabiko merger. I currently run only Shindaiwa handhelds and I absolutely swear by Shindy...

That unit would definitely take up less space than the Walker attachment but I run an enclosed trailer behind my F350 Dually Dump truck so space is not a huge issue. I run the set up I have to maximize efficiency. When I roll out, I have everything I need to tackle almost everything... I often argue with some of my internet friends here on the site about Truck and Trailer Vs. Cab-over dovetail Vs. Pick up truck and dump trailer Vs. Super Lawn Truck style...

By running a 1 ton dump truck it gives me the ability to either bring materials with me or bring materials away from a job. And with the enclosed trailer I can fit my Walker and my Scag and my 21 plus handhelds for maintenance or just my Walker with attachments and extra tools and materials for installs etc....

Simply put, when I am out doing bed edges, I have everything with me anyway.... The really good thing I see about that Echo Bed-Redefiner though is it's ability to get in and out of tight spaces.... I helped put together an Echo Brush cutter the other day and man was it a beast! It was the SRM-410U and I might have to break my Shindiawa only rule for that unit right there..... Super heavy duty...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Forgot to mention that I am definitely old school and stupid like that too!

Hahahahaha... Don't feel bad, I am right there with you brother....
Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another pic of the culvert/driveway install....

It would have been A LOT easier to have a couple tandem loads dropped at the house but instead I went and got 4 ton of the item 4 at a time.... I think when all was said and done I used twenty ton. So that was 5 trips to the quarry but luckily it was very close to this residence....
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2014, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Another pic of the culvert/driveway install....

It would have been A LOT easier to have a couple tandem loads dropped at the house but instead I went and got 4 ton of the item 4 at a time.... I think when all was said and done I used twenty ton. So that was 5 trips to the quarry but luckily it was very close to this residence....
How'd the 1-ton handle that weight?

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fords built tuff
Old 03-04-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's really amazing what these 1 tons will do without breaking a sweat...

Sure, if I was doing it everyday and not being careful with my breaking, I would be replacing brakes and shocks and leaf springs and whatever else but she was fine...

I believe that I am just under 10,000 empty and the GVW is about 12,500 I think, but shoot, she can handle 4 tons every now and again no problem.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stripes from a different view....

This is a great commercial account...

Gas station with a Dunkin Donuts so it stays super busy...

Hope to capitalize on it this season because I will have my lettering on my truck and trailer by the end of the month...

Hopefully the snow will be gone and the grass will be growing!!!!!!
Attached Images