Sorry!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks real clean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Jrs.!!!!!

I am so pumped to be able to start posting some stripe photos and try and give the GoldPro a run for his money! LOL

P.S... GoldPro stripe photos are AMAZING!!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Looking good!!! Cant wait for your pics this season!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
I am currently 100% solo... I officially opened my doors to my business last season... License, insurance, etc... Bought all of my equipment last spring. I am 32 years old and have coming on 20 years experience with lawn care/landscaping in particular. I was working as a foreman with an amazing company in the greater Boston area up until about 3 years ago when we packed up and moved.

My wife, son, and myself moved to Upstate New York from Boston because my father-in-law got early onset Alzheimer's disease and my mother-in-law really needed help. I believe that family is the most important thing in life. Starting my own business had always been a goal and it just made sense to start it up here because we really fell in love with the area. The market where I currently am is not as big as in Boston but there is PLENTY of work and it is also a very popular vacation area with a large lake (Champlain) and the Adirondack Mountains as well. So, I can get my fix of maintaining multi million dollar homes on the lake.. hehe..

My immediate plans for the future are to continue to learn and educate myself about the business side of things. I actually really love being an entrepreneur and learning the biz end has been fun and challenging. There is so much to learn not only about how to run a business but about our industry as well. Like I stated before, I had the opportunity to work on the hardscape end of the spectrum in my past experience but mainly when that division needed extra guys or when somebody was out sick as I was a maintenance foreman. There is just something that is so much fun about doing patios and retaining walls and working with mortar that I hope to be able to continue to get the smaller jobs thus sharpening my skills.

I do have 3, 5, 10, and 20 year business plans and goals and employees are absolutely part of those plans.... Hopefully arriving in between years 3 and 5. I talk with JContracting often about staying in the field vs. getting out of the field and the whole Michael Gerber E-Myth discussion... I want my business to be as successful as possible and if that means that I have to be managing and delegating more than working then so be it. However, if that was to be the case, then there would have to be days when I am out working with the crews side by side to get my fix.

So there is a little background/bio..... I will post up some more pics here until we really start rocking and rolling enough to start a 2014 thread. I thank everyone so much for the feedback and positive words and I am by no means thin skinned so don't worry about criticism... It's how we all learn!
I can't believe it took me until now to come across your thread!

That first landscape makes we want to start hustling installs!! Winter keeps holding its grip on us here, with a rain/snow mix Thursday then possibly more snow Thursday night when temps go below freezing
I'm more of a fan of the plastic edging (when bought in 20' strips, not the swirls like homeowners get from home depot), that's pretty standard here in the midwest, the spade edge isn't for me. Haven't had a client request anything besides that other than the crappy bullet edging which I'm NEVER doing again, what a joke.

We certainly have lots of discussions about getting out of the field and delegating! It's the only way to go to make it big. As I said before, if someone truly enjoys the work (as you and I do), being out of the field and in the office and taking an hour or two a week to mow/fertilize/spray/trim shrubs at the shop/your house as well as creating an extravagant hardscape & landscape install at your house & shop is a great way to go about it. I know I'm excited for that when I purchase a house.

With the roadside ditches, I'm certain my first house I purchase (next year at this time) will have something similar to that on each side of the driveway, my plan is to install a rain garden because mowing those areas sucks!!

Do you also mow that brown building's property that's next to the gas station?
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks J!!!

Means a lot to me that you peeped my thread...

I completely, 100% agree with you about the difference between the plastic edging.... And when I bought some in the 20ft. strips, it also had more of a pliable feel to it.... Not like the swirls which bend and dent when you shape them...

I do also mow that brown building next to that property...

It's a good little account because a lot of people stop by there for gas and their liquid crack (Dunkin Donuts) hahaha... Hey, I'm addicted too....

When I start a 2014 thread I will post up some better pics of the stripes on that property.... I can do those hills diagonally going up them, they are pretty steep and the Walker bangs em right out... Some of the other local LCO's have asked me how I do it... I just laugh and tell them to demo a Walker! (Nobody runs them in my area)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks J!!!

Means a lot to me that you peeped my thread...

I completely, 100% agree with you about the difference between the plastic edging.... And when I bought some in the 20ft. strips, it also had more of a pliable feel to it.... Not like the swirls which bend and dent when you shape them...

I do also mow that brown building next to that property...

It's a good little account because a lot of people stop by there for gas and their liquid crack (Dunkin Donuts) hahaha... Hey, I'm addicted too....

When I start a 2014 thread I will post up some better pics of the stripes on that property.... I can do those hills diagonally going up them, they are pretty steep and the Walker bangs em right out... Some of the other local LCO's have asked me how I do it... I just laugh and tell them to demo a Walker! (Nobody runs them in my area)
Good looking stuff man. Looking forward to seeing the photos as the year goes on. Hopefully I'll be getting started after the 1st.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks so much RLM....

I just wanted you to know that whenever anybody is having a discussion here on L.S about the Walker 3rd wheel mark, I refer them to your site so they can see how well the split tail wheel kit does....

I go back and forth all the time whether I want to throw one on or not....
Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A better look at the old 2003 F350...

And my #1 employee of course...

I am getting her lettered up here very soon.

I would like to give a little attention to the rust on the wheel wells and the bottoms of the doors....

Any suggestions from you guys other than the norm?

Also, thinking about painting the wheels black...

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
"The Boss" getting to work.....

The Scag looks a mess there but has been spruced up since then....
Wow when did Scag Make Floating Deck Gear drives like this guy? I knew they made the SWZU but never have seen these mowers.

Nice work though! Keep it up.