Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

What track loader to get and or not get?

Hi I'm new to this forum ...I have a small field mowing business ,that I have been using a 40 HP farmall with a brush mower which works well and efficiently when I am doing grass But I spend 1/2 my time backing up to take out blackberries . My neck can't take it any more. So with that in mind I am looking fore recommendations on what to get or not get . I figure tracks will be smother than wheels on uneven ground and a cab would be nice seeing you are moving into the dust when mowing on front (not to mention the ground dwelling bees
That get vary pissed off when you mow over them)

Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Most all of the newer CTL machines are generally built well and all seem too be good performers. So....

I would first pin down a price range and avaiability of service for the different brands that you are considering. I also would stay with a larger frame machine with 80+ hp. Cab is a must. Do you want high flow?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you want an almost dust-free experience, the M series Bobcat with new door seal is about as close as you can get to dust free. Bobcat has a suspension for it's CTL's. Not sure how well it works. My only experience in a CTL was a bit of a rough ride compared to my wheeled machine. Bobcat as well as others offers ride control that will help with uneven terrain by letting the boom arms absorb some of the shock (like the big wheel loaders have).

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-04-2014, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roller suspension is awesome yellow. Think it's expensive though

We had 2 320s with it. And two 300 without. Guess which ones I always used? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wheeled machines are much smoother ride. There are rigid undercarriage track machines and suspended ones that are more costly to buy and repair. You want a track machine if you are consistently finding yourself in wet patches or going over lawns. Otherwise wheels. I know those overgrown patches of field tend to get that way from years of being avoided because they are soggy patches. Not sure if that is the case in your area.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Wheeled machines are much smoother ride. There are rigid undercarriage track machines and suspended ones that are more costly to buy and repair. You want a track machine if you are consistently finding yourself in wet patches or going over lawns. Otherwise wheels. I know those overgrown patches of field tend to get that way from years of being avoided because they are soggy patches. Not sure if that is the case in your area.
I don't agree with that. Wheels tend to see saw in rough conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They do move back and forth more but the jarring affect with those big old pneumatic tires is no where near as harsh as sitting on rigid iron with a two inch thick rubber track as your only cushion.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm on Whidbey island north of Seattle. So it's a small market ,I think round 35k people on the south end ,Ware I'm at. 4 seasons my exprence with my tractor ( a caseIH Farmall40 ) is often the limiting factor with speed of mowing is how uneven the ground is and finding those holes left by a vary large tree that was cut down 100 years ago . The big thing is mowing infront not behind ,that is killing me .
If I do get a CTL it will have to be used So advice on what to look fore would be good . Can you tell me what the fule burn is on a CTL in the 80 HP range and other expenses to look for
Thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Also the terrain here is varied and can get quite steep,and I don't think a wheeled skid steer could handle the hills. (it would be up side down like a little bug.)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok. I was just going off the orig post where you said tracks would probably be smoother than wheels. No idea on fuel, I have a 50 hp track machine