Register free!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Immigration and Golf Course Maintenance

Just got back from a trip to Scottsdale, Ariz., where I interviewed a gentleman from Mexico who came to the U.S. about 30 years ago. Like many immigrants, the gentleman came here for a better life. He ended up working for Troon Golf and is still working for the company all these years later.

But the gentleman came here illegally. He paid someone $200 at the border to drive him to Scottsdale. At the time, the U.S. was cracking down in immigration like it is now. As the years went on, the gentleman filed the appropriate paperwork to become a U.S. citizen. The reason he didn't do it sooner was because he says he didn't have the money.

The immigration discussion is heating up again. What do you think? Many say our country needs low-skilled workers and many Mexicans/Hispanics are willing to do these jobs. What's your take? And what should be done so these people can come here legally?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what should be done so these people can come here legally?
What should be done is already in place. Get in line like everyone else who wants to come here.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Should the people who are here illegally be allowed to stay if they go through proper procedures? Or should they be deported?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think they should be deported. Its a slap in the face to the folks who spent the time and money to come here legally.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just legalize them if they have clean criminal records. This never ending battle will continue to be never ending if we don't end it. Most of these guys/gals just want to work and be left alone.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it is a difficult situation because it involves many people and many countries. America has good things and bad things. All the countries of the world have the dualality of good things and bad things. In America there is a lot of material opportunity, laws, standards, order, and organization. A lot of Americans have many psychological and familial problems and we are growing more and more disconnected from nature and natural life. This is appealing to many. We are extremely privileged from this point of view to be born here or live here. Other countries have their good things as well. Most human life evolves around the family. However, based on desires people travel.
Personally I feel compassion for people who want to come here, if I myself were in there shoes I may or may not want to come. But this must be a universal situation. If people are allowed to come from country A to country B, the people from B must be able to go to A. If all people would live for the good of humanity and the earth, life would be great. However human nature is not always such on this earth.
There is a process for becoming a citizen of every country. For extreme cases where people are suffering and we can help, that is good. However if we just open the doors for everyone to come in, the country could be ruined. Especially for those who make money here and send it to other countries.

I have no idea what 'low skilled worker' is. Every country in the present moment needs manual laborers. Immigrants are not any better than native workers. There are a lot of people willing to do the job who already live here. The difference is that most immigrants will do it for a lower wage. But I don't think that is right to take work away from people who are already here. Unless of course their country would do the same for us. Then it could be more equal.
I don't see why it is so hard to keep our border impenetrable from immigrants. I mean its 2014. To build a big fence / security system and monitor it doesn't see that hard. Obviously our government is allowing this for some reason.
I also don't understand how our government starts operating services like the MVA or DMV in Spanish for illegal people who don't speak English. They also allow them to have drivers license now. Ok, are there countries doing this? Why is our government allowing it?
To answer, for the people that are already here illegally, what is it 12million? that is a difficult situation. According to the law they should face deportation. If the borders are secured and no one else can come in, if they are legalized, most want to work, however I don't know.
For the question: what should be done so they can come here legally? If every country open the borders, and no more wars.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I lost my opportunity to a Golf Coarse Job to illegals, I say screw them
Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I live in Phoenix,I pay my legal Mexican worker $11 an hour I pay the lazy white guy ( if you can find one that wants to work) $9. the Mexican guy works his but off doesn't complain and always shows up,hey I didn't let these guys in the country,now lets figure out what to do with them,I say lets find out who they are and TAX em

Last edited by Billscaping; 03-04-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Deportations are up and people coming in are down,everyone was asleep 5 years ago when they were on video coming over like crazy,I wish everyone would have been more vocal about the situation as they are today
Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't believe anyone was asleep five years ago. This debate has been on going since at least the Reagan years.