Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Versatile compact tractor

Am thinking about a compact tractor, 4wd, in the 25-30 hp range. Its tasks would range from dragging a boxscrape, pulling a pulverizer to fix yards, bush hogging, 3pt aerator, maybe a small 3 pt sprayer with boom. Don't need a FEL, that's what my bobcat is for. Ag or turf tires? This time of year it would be running through some nice yards with the aerator, but at the same time I wonder if turf tires would hold up when Im running it through an overgrown field bush hogging with sticks and rocks and briers? What size engine? What brands? Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at the big three to begin with (Deere, Kubota, Massey) and see who they compare in prices. Each one is comparable, so comfort in the seat and dealer service is going to be a big seller.

As far as tires, turfs are actaully tuffer than ags. Ags will give you better grip however if you are going to be on people's lawns and are planning on getting MFWD, then turfs should suite you well.

HP is all going to depend on how big a brush hog you will want to run. Weight is what makes a tractor pull, but hp is what enables you to run a 6-7ft hog.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a couple skids and a small tractor also. We don't use it often but when we do it more than earns its keep. Aeration has always been a good money maker for us. We also have a Befco slit seeder for seeding large areas a plow for the front and a pto debris blower for leaves. Kubota has several nice tractors under 50 hp in the L series
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a used Kubota B3030. 30 hp, hydrostatic, live PTO, 4x4, Industrial tires. you can get these with a factory cab with ac/heat too. I like it so far. Be sure to get a live PTO, that'll be a blessing when mowing. try to find something with a mid mount pto as well. I literally just got my Kubota this week but so far I used it two days and I'm impressed.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We also run the heavy industrial tires on ours. The turf tires get stuff between the treads when its wet out and makes a mess. We also put heavy duty skid loader tires on the front of our Kubota to help carry the plow or push box. They wear longer and have a much heavier side wall.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressley10r View Post
Am thinking about a compact tractor, 4wd, in the 25-30 hp range. Its tasks would range from dragging a boxscrape, pulling a pulverizer to fix yards, bush hogging, 3pt aerator, maybe a small 3 pt sprayer with boom. Don't need a FEL, that's what my bobcat is for. Ag or turf tires? This time of year it would be running through some nice yards with the aerator, but at the same time I wonder if turf tires would hold up when Im running it through an overgrown field bush hogging with sticks and rocks and briers? What size engine? What brands? Thoughts?
Consider a hydrostatic transmission. Makes grading in tight places easier and when mowing you can vary your speed with the load.
R4 tread is what I use and seems to give good performance. Can leave damaging imprints in wet soil- something to consider if working on irrigated lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Ended up getting a nice low hr l3010 back in Oct. Have hardly used it. Hate to say it, needed the tax write-off, but so far, each time I've used it, I feel like I could be doing better/faster with my bobcat if I would've just spent on a rotary cutter and a rock hound. We'll see how much I use it this year. At least I got a good deal in it.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressley10r View Post
Ended up getting a nice low hr l3010 back in Oct. Have hardly used it. Hate to say it, needed the tax write-off, but so far, each time I've used it, I feel like I could be doing better/faster with my bobcat if I would've just spent on a rotary cutter and a rock hound. We'll see how much I use it this year. At least I got a good deal in it.
The Bobcat has twice the power don't it?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

No, the bobcat is rated at 46 hp I think. The Kub has 30.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota BX25 up to an L3800.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN