Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Ferris 36" Hydro , good buy?

Just bought a 36" ferris hyrdo w/bagger. I am about to start my 2nd year in business and have picked up larger lawns in an affluent area, with a tight i thought this was a good buy.

Also with the possibility of obtaining a 20 condo account I'm thinking about picking up an even bigger mower soon. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonteslandscapes View Post
Just bought a 36" ferris hyrdo w/bagger. I am about to start my 2nd year in business and have picked up larger lawns in an affluent area, with a tight i thought this was a good buy.

Also with the possibility of obtaining a 20 condo account I'm thinking about picking up an even bigger mower soon. Any suggestions?

Thanks
stick with ferris, don't get a patchwork fleet, then you get a part from this dealer over here, and a part from that guy over there, you know less about your machines and the engineering that went into them….etc

If you have a 36, you can jump to a 48, but unless you have another person running the other mower, so you are running them both, it's not enough of a jump, in my opinion….

If you are running solo keep the 36" for tight areas, and run a 52" for the bigger stuff.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you bought a 36 first, pick up 52 or bigger next. Run whatever you think is good for you, z, stander, walk behind, but get bigger than a 48.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

If I didn't continue with a ferris and was looking for something in the lines of a walker 48 or navigator 48. What do you think? It looks like something that could help me save time and its design can get into tight places. I know that would mean double the price .

99 ford 350 dump
36 hyrdo ferris
2x 21" honda cmr
lesco dethatcher
turfco overseeder
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Please go with a 48 Walker...

Actually, go with any Walker... Walker rules!!!!!

I know T said stick with Ferris but her is also a Walker afficionado so he may cut me some slack here...

Tons of Walker info here on the site....

Yes, a Walker is an investment but a MT ghs 48 will take you to production places that you have never even dreamed of before....

Especially with more affluent areas, I.E more landscaping to go around and the need for stripes...
Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Please go with a 48 Walker...

Actually, go with any Walker... Walker rules!!!!!

I know T said stick with Ferris but her is also a Walker afficionado so he may cut me some slack here...

Tons of Walker info here on the site....

Yes, a Walker is an investment but a MT ghs 48 will take you to production places that you have never even dreamed of before....

Especially with more affluent areas, I.E more landscaping to go around and the need for stripes...
How about a ferris evolution?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonteslandscapes View Post
How about a ferris evolution?
Posted via Mobile Device

I personally run Ferris evolutions myself.

I haven't had a ferris walk behind since 1989 and it was that oold school style you had to make go with your thumbs (man you think pistol grips are bad, my thumbs were killing me!)

Evo is a good way to go

the 52" is the best because it has almost 5" over deck overhang past the tires not he left for trimming.

Arm is Right….walker 48 could be good…I just have this weird thing about patch work mower fleets…I cringe when i see a green mower, a yellow mower and a red mower on a trailer….. MAKE up your MIND!!..
sorry rant over…

Im a former fleet manager for big big landscape companies… so I just prefer all one brand…. (although a mix of toro/exmark is acceptable… yes yes…Tru Greens toro/exmark move from scag was my doing)

With that being said.

a Ferris Evo will be significantly cheaper than a 48 walker MT.

but you could get a walker MB for less….but an EVO is still going to be cheaper.

If you don't need to bag/collect, the EVO is probably your choice.

If you do get an evo, instead of another walk behind, you could get a 48…because it's a small step up in deck, but significant on speed….. which is different than just going to a 48 walk behind.

However, the deck overhang/trim on a 48 is…well….the deck is almost even with the drive tires.

That's where walker will crush it.
It's got way more deck overhang and trimming is sweet.

But an evo will run rings around a walker as far as speed is considered…. really depends on your terrain…

Of all things I have to say about all machines… walker is the only machine I can mow almost 50% of my properties WITHOUT having to pick up a line trimmer every week, and 30% of my properties I don't even need to use a blower.

So it might be a little slower in ground speed, but a walker mulching or collection deck has saved me bundles of time on jobs…even tho its frustrating because it SEEMS like your going slower.

We refer to it as "the Walker factor"
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree on the patchwork machines idea T.....

I have to admit that I can't stand it either......

I am in a bind over it however because I run Walker MT 48 and Walker does't make their walk behind anymore!!!!

Sure, I could pick up a used one but to be perfectly honest I am in LOVE with Scag walk behinds.... always have been... I think that Turf Tracers are amazing but running Walker/Scag is a lot better than running Walker/Exmark...

That would be like rocking a Red Sox hat with a Yankees shirt..... Not happening...

The Ferris evolutions look awesome! I think Ferris has something going with the ICD and I would love to demo one....