Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulit Colored LED experience and strategy...

I have a potential client that is pretty high end. He has some visions based on what he saw in some more glitzy areas of the country. He is really captured with the idea of multi colored lighting. Im sort of a go between here and Im not speaking directly with him at all times, but the General Con says he is very interested in varying colors of light for different elements. I will just be candid and say I am generally a 2700-3000k type guy and haven't really gone into the world of colored lighting. I have some reservations obviously as it's really hard for me to visualize this strategy and I also think he could hate it after about 6 months once the initial pride factor wears off and it's back to a constant living element. There will be water features, palm trees and paver hardscapes to contrast with. The house is a cremish stucco. Any suggestions, ideas, strategies?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

ccfreeman

Green Light,

I work for Ewing in Texas and have some experience with color changing LED. We have a vendor that we work hand in hand with on color changing RGB jobs. The product is solid and performs very well. If you need any assistance, I would be happy to help you as I don't know if you work with Ewing in Alabama. Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

Craig Freeman
Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Use of color light in the landscape has the ability to make the scene really pop, or horribly wash it out.

Remember the days of the 6-light kit from Malibu? Red green blue amber white. A novelty item at best, I know, my Dad had one in his backyard. And while the colors were different to look at, white light would have given the true color appearance to the landscape.

My days working for the late Bill Locklin taught me well to stay away from mixing colors. His perennial example was a red light on the red rosebush that brings out the blooms but washes out the foliage.

If the client is really intent on color, maybe sit with him/her and ask what they are looking for, want to see at night, do not want to see at night. Also what colors are prevalent in the landscape: hardscape, building colors, plant material.

As for RGB technology, yes it's there. However, controlling multiple pieces uniformly has always been a struggle. Brilliance LED has the new RGB lightbars and strips that achieve control through wireless technology and smartphone apps, but that is control for one physical unit.

Stay tuned, something big coming from Brilliance in 2Q 2014.