Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

power broom

Looking at adding a power broom. I already have a ride on 60" one but saw that you can get a weed whip style. Curious who has some experience with them. Thought the size was the best part but not sure what brand to go with.
'
Old 03-08-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about one of these? If so, they work great! Such a time saver!

I took off the plastic guard around the broom because it was useless to me. Had it for 3 years and didn't had to change the broom on it, it use to be very thick and long but after a while the broom will wear down and shrink. Just have to switch it around once in a while so the broom spins in the opposite directly so that it can wear down evenly.

This one is made with plastic so it takes a while to wear down, and like I said once you see its not doing much, just switch it around for more friction.

I've seen some that comes with metal broom instead, it will hands down remove my debris on the asphalt, but metal on asphalt = will have to change your broom head every 2-4 months.

Your best brand: Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa etc.
Attached Images

Complete lawn care services
Old 03-08-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Its exactly what Im talking about. Your bristles are plastic on that broom head in the picture? All ive seen are either metal bristle or rubber paddles. Stihl is the brand that I have been looking at. Everybody says they work awesome just a pretty penny for them. Hard to find any used
Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the bristles are in plastic, they will usually tend to wear off in a direction, so I keep switching them around to make sure they keep cleaning good.

I would not recommend buying a used one.. That power broom is slightly over 1000$, I'm sure you can have one cheaper used. But if your busy like me, this broom will be used every day, so gotta go with a new one that will last you years.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Went and looked at them today and they look like they will work good. Having them come to the barn and gonna demo them in the morning since they didn't have the one put together just before they closed today.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

You can buy them cheaper then 1 thousand. The attachment broom is 300.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Cheapest I found was $700.00 plus tax. They haven't gotten the bristle one in yet to demo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper881 View Post
Cheapest I found was $700.00 plus tax. They haven't gotten the bristle one in yet to demo.
Posted via Mobile Device

At echo USA.com they sell the attachment broom sweeper for $299.00
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Viper, You could get a Stihl KM130 R power head and the broom attachment for roughly $700.00. The MSRP on the KM 130 R is $369.95, broom attachment $279.95, total $644.90 plus your local sales tax, your total comes out to $683.59. The Stihl units are the best you can buy, if you want to spend a little less, you could go with the KM 110 R for $339.95 plus the broom.

You could also buy a standard string trimmer like an FS 110 R ($369.95) or the FS 130 R (399.95) and just substitute it with the brush attachment ($269.99) and you have a set up like JFGauvreau.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes that's exactly what I did. I bought the Stihl FS 130 R (36cc) and dump the trimmer and bought a power broom attachment. The FS 130 R back when I bought it was 480$ and the broom was 340$ + taxes, so around 950$ with taxes.

The trimmer you see in the picture, bellow the power broom is a Echo SRM-266T for 450$

Of course price will vary depending on area. When I go to my dealer for new equipment like this, I always ask him the same question: What is the most powerful and durable equipment you can sell me? I do not skip on quality at all, that power broom in the summer gets used everyday, for long hours.

Quick attachments are good depending on your need, for me, having 2 equipment means I can put 2 workers on each equipment at the same time.