Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Fall/ spring clean ups: Anyone charging per bag?

For you low- volume guys out there (such as myself), just wondering if anyone is using the 30 gallon paper yard waste bags, left at customer's site, (preferably at curb on eve of their yard waste pick up day), and how you are charging for such service. I'm a solo, low volume operation and don't have the resources to haul away waste.
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2014, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charging per bag invites too many variables in my opinion.

Access to the site, type of trees, excessive sticks down wet leaves/dry leaves etc etc all will play a role in how long it takes to fill a bag.

Easiest way in the beginning is to just charge by the hour. If you don't trust your estimating skills, just give a range.....between $300-400 for example.

And still not rich

Old 10-11-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bag with my 36" WB and use a Billy goat Lawn Vac. Both machines get emptied into 55 gallon leaf bags and stacked at the curb. The customers that want me to haul it away instead of the town get charged more.

The problem I see when charging by the bag is people complaining you are using too small of a bag or not filling the bags enough so you will have a higher bag count to just charge me more.

Also charging by the hour makes people think you are going slow to stretch out the job and charge them more.

New customers are leery of being charged by the hour. They do not know you so are hesitant to trust you.

Now there is a member here that is in Connecticut that is well established and he charges clean ups by the hour. He has so much business that if I remember right he only does clean ups for his own customers. It works for him I guess because he is established with a good reputation, a large customer base, so if someone will not pay him the way he wants he just will not work for them.

So you can be successful charging by the hour. Though it will take time.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The problem I see when charging by the bag is people complaining you are using too small of a bag or not filling the bags enough so you will have a higher bag count to just charge me more.

you know the customer will go out when youre gone and try to squish the bags down more to see if youve actually filled them to capacity lol
I would not attempt the bagging of leaves simply because it takes more time to bag them than it takes to rake them on a tarp and take them away
Old 10-12-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device