Register free!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aerating

Adding aerating to my services this year, I've done it in the past, but always rented a unit when I needed it. Figure if I can get my current customers I'll make it back and then with a good marketing campaign I'll get more customers.

Want to ask which units you'd use, I'm leaning toward Turfco XT5 since the ease of use looks the best.

Also, still figuring out pricing, but leaning toward roughly $40-$50 for say a 5000 sgft lot
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwilamosky View Post
Adding aerating to my services this year, I've done it in the past, but always rented a unit when I needed it. Figure if I can get my current customers I'll make it back and then with a good marketing campaign I'll get more customers.

Want to ask which units you'd use, I'm leaning toward Turfco XT5 since the ease of use looks the best.

Also, still figuring out pricing, but leaning toward roughly $40-$50 for say a 5000 sgft lot
For those prices I wouldn't bother...
My mininum is $125 and that's for about 2-3k.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

I charge $60 up to 5k then $10 per 1k after that.Has worked good for us. Of course if you have a lawn with a ridiculous amount of trees,shrubs ect... then I adjust the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

@sunset is $60 the lowest you'll go, I know every business will need to charge different amounts and what not, but my area that seems to be about the price
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Old 03-06-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
@sunset is $60 the lowest you'll go, I know every business will need to charge different amounts and what not, but my area that seems to be about the price
Yes, $60 is the base price. Is that the lowest I'll go? I have made exceptions,but $60 is the price I first quote them. Its a specialty service so most people are ok with that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

At least get more than a person could rent a aerator for.

Just a little hint, slightly use and real clean aerators with good spoons are around, I bought a BlueBird 530 for 800$ in perfect near new contition several years ago. If you plan on doing a lot of aerating the a new macine might be better. I would rent one to see if you like it before I bought a new one, there not all the same like mowers, and some like my bluebird will beat you to death.

And be sure to MARK THE SPRINKLERS.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post

Just a little hint, slightly use and real clean aerators with good spoons are around, I bought a BlueBird 530 for 800$ in perfect near new contition several years ago. If you plan on doing a lot of aerating the a new macine might be better. I would rent one to see if you like it before I bought a new one, there not all the same like mowers, and some like my bluebird will beat you to death.

Thanks Larry, yeah I've rented them before to do a handful of yards and the units were Bluebirds, they beat the heck out of you. I have turned down a lot of aerating jobs because if only a couple clients want them this week and them some call next week, I'm screwed having to go rent one and my margin goes way down.
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Larry, yeah I've rented them before to do a handful of yards and the units were Bluebirds, they beat the heck out of you. I have turned down a lot of aerating jobs because if only a couple clients want them this week and them some call next week, I'm screwed having to go rent one and my margin goes way down.
Don't go spend 4000$ with out demoing or renting the machine first, areators don't hold there value very well, and you don't want to be stuck with a machine you don't like. I bought my bluebird strickly because I got a great deal and don't do much aerating anyway. Som machines are easy to use, but that comes with a higher price.

Mabey Exactrotolling will chime in, hes very knowledgeable about aerating.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post

Exactly. Aerators RENT for $50 here. Factor in the client spending time and money renting it and then actually doing the work. I think my $125 minimum is more than fair when you factor all that in. Plus most homeoeners prob wouldn't be able to even do the work...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Exactly. Aerators RENT for $50 here. Factor in the client spending time and money renting it and then actually doing the work. I think my $125 minimum is more than fair when you factor all that in. Plus most homeoeners prob wouldn't be able to even do the work...
Posted via Mobile Device
probably would be best if everybody just charged what they're comfortable with or what the competitive price is. That price would never fly in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device