Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

1.5 - 2 times the mowing rate is common here but I have finally learned that trying to sell aeration as a one trick pony service hasn't worked super well in the big picture for me.

I'll be blunt...my first few years doing this I chased doing aerations at a higher pay rate at the expense of getting decent mowing accounts. Back then I worked my other business fairly heavily and it didn't hurt my bottom line.

It took me awhile but now I'm rolling aerations into my application fert package since folks even with money don't understand the benefits of the service and will skip out on it. I'm basically done chasing across town for one time clients and bean counter cheapskates. Huge time burner and my focus is on total lawn health and aeration is just a component of that now.

I have a 2010 Lawn Solutions 21" and (2) Plugr 850's

Google Plugr 850 and you'll pull up my video on youtube
here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bUl-OSZQLaY

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for all the info guys, I'm not going to make this my main business, it would be a service that I also offer
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I just quoted a job to aerate and my rate was $70 and the client thought that was pretty low. Lot was less than 2k feet but it was a little farther than I wanted to drive also.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

All my stuff is used but its paid for
Old 03-11-2014, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedlawn View Post
I just quoted a job to aerate and my rate was $70 and the client thought that was pretty low. Lot was less than 2k feet but it was a little farther than I wanted to drive also.
Unless the grass area is an obstacle course that is a good rate. Some of the tiny lawns can be a real maneuvering headache. Lots of $29.95 aerations in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chicago area suburbs pricing is around $39 up to 8,000 sq ft. Landscapers put flyers out everywhere.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow for the rates in some of these areas I wouldn't even bother.

Aerating prices look to be dumbed down like mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Wow for the rates in some of these areas I wouldn't even bother.

Aerating prices look to be dumbed down like mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Much truth to this. Combine that with the fact that most in my area really believe power-racking dethatching is what's best [in their mind] and they do not want to be talked out of it. My mind is made up so don't bother me with with the facts.

About 3 years back a local [to me] application Co. was running a $29.95 aeration special even in the newspaper. This was a break-even promo to get his foot in the door. Sure enough this Co. gained much traction and took off. But the fact are many of his accounts are habitually low mowed and constantly blanket sprayed. I only want the healthiest and most vibrant lawns in my cue.

So.... To address the bean counter mentality...I'm bundling my aerations in with my fert/weed plans.

If a clients insist on low scalp mowing....they will be replaced.

Even the clients that insist on bagging....replace with better clients.

If an obese client with cancer who just had a by pass... goes to a personal trainer and the goes into pick apart mode on the trainers program for fitness....why keep the client?

My way or the highway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Most people want there lawn clippings bagged around here, mulch or bag it is the same price! BUT, if have to bag for their dumpster or haul the clippings away, I charge $2 a bag. A bag and a half is considered 2 bags! Dumping in their bins without bagging is included in the mowing price.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwilamosky View Post
Adding aerating to my services this year, I've done it in the past, but always rented a unit when I needed it. Figure if I can get my current customers I'll make it back and then with a good marketing campaign I'll get more customers.

Want to ask which units you'd use, I'm leaning toward Turfco XT5 since the ease of use looks the best.

Also, still figuring out pricing, but leaning toward roughly $40-$50 for say a 5000 sgft lot
This was my price point which made me second guess myself after hearing the thump of a customer hitting the floor. He was shocked at the price being low. He said "IS that the front yard?" I ssaid this was back and front. "he then said " Youre arent going to do 3 passes and leave are you"? I immediately realized my price was low. I told him I could raise my price if it made him feel better. I truly thought this was a fair price ( my first year doing aerating and this is my first year jumping back into the business. He then said his FIL is 5 houses down and to do his as well and he may get me a third person on the same street as well. I would typically give a break to neighbors anyhow but I guess $40 is a great break for them.
I called a buddy of mine in the business and he laughed. He said he made the initial mistake when he started but a fair value around our are is $65.

Oh well, a learning curve to get the season started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
At least get more than a person could rent a aerator for.

Just a little hint, slightly use and real clean aerators with good spoons are around, I bought a BlueBird 530 for 800$ in perfect near new contition several years ago. If you plan on doing a lot of aerating the a new macine might be better. I would rent one to see if you like it before I bought a new one, there not all the same like mowers, and some like my bluebird will beat you to death.

And be sure to MARK THE SPRINKLERS.
This is what I picked up. A used Bluebird for a good price so I can fluctuate around my schedule instead of cramming in hours on a rental. I have an hour meter now installed so I can gauge how long jobs take for future quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset LC View Post
probably would be best if everybody just charged what they're comfortable with or what the competitive price is. That price would never fly in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, also $125 would not fly around here. Not for average yards at least.