Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking for some advice on Lawn

At my home the lawn is pretty bad, it is bare in many spots has gotten worse with the dog running around in the backyard. I want to get a head start on things this year and get the yard ready as soon as the snow melts in the next few weeks. I have many trees outlining the yard along with some in the middle of it. Some of the trees are red maples and almost all of them have shallow root systems. Some areas of the lawn get full sun and the grass grows fairly well but others, especially once the trees bloom, have fairly dense shade. Late this summer I also had my home hooked up the the public sewer system and I have a large patch (25x75) with all dirt, some areas that were dug up however have grown back on their own but with crabgrass. The soil here is very rocky and I am not sure of the PH. I have mainly KBG.

Also, areas near the street have taken a beating this winter with salt and sand. Not sure what I should do there, to help the grass come back strong.

Basically, I am just looking for the best alternative to get lawn back in shape and need to know if the areas around the trees are a lost cause.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try an overseeding. It's going to be the cheapest and easiest way for an improvement, but you'll have to keep the dog in a restricted area for a month or so until you have germination and some decent growth. Use shade mix seed for all areas under tree canopy.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maple trees are notorious for preventing grass growth underneath their heavy shade. No cure for that. If its too shady for grass: use a shade-loving ground cover like ivy or pachysandra, even bark mulch with a few potted ferns would look acceptable.

Put a few lawn chairs or a picnic table in the main dog paths to make them go around and spread out the dog traffic.

For the bare dirt, a soil test is a good idea. Then overseed about the third week of April. You will have to also apply a starter with a special crabgrass control intended for new seed (Tupersan) (costly).

Rake any salt, dirt or debris off the road near the grass. Plenty of rain or sprinkling should disperse any salt that got on the grass. Reseed as needed.
Install irrigation if you don't have it already.