Gravely 252 15 33.33%
Toro 3000 5 11.11%
Husqvarna PZ54 2 4.44%
Ferris IS2000 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Mower: Deere, Gravely, Toro, Husky, Ferris

I'm looking to buy a new mower in the next couple of weeks. I have been researching for months and have narrowed it down, but would just like some final opinions to think about before I make the decision. I will list below each of the mowers I am thinking about at the moment and some of my thoughts on them. All prices are before tax.

John Deere 920M 54"--$8400--I went to John Deere dealer on Monday. They seem like nice enough people. The price for the 915B 54" is $8100 (which seems high compared to what I have seen them at closer to Atlanta, but the drive would be too far for dealer support), so no reason to not step up to the M if I went this route since it's only $300 more for some reason. I love the 7IronPro deck on these. I've heard only great things about the QOC on them. I also know parts are expensive on these and based on experience with my current mower (z225) I know it's hard to get most of the parts anywhere but at the Deere dealership.
3 year/1200 warranty

Gravely 252 (could also look at the 152 about $600 less or so)--Not sure exact price b/c I missed the fleet sale event today, but another dealer nearby has their sale next Friday so probably around $7600--Had a bad experience at dealer that had the sale today, but then was contacted by the owner b/c of a post I put on here, and was later contacted by Mary Lyn who works at their main office. That was a pretty amazing response, and shows me this is a good solid company who will stand behind what they sell. Decks on these seem very good. From what I've seen they too have a high QOC and stripe well. Also come standard with the suspension seat, only mower I'm looking at that does that which is very nice, although I haven't sat in one yet to try it out! Very high top speed of 13mph which I'm sure I would never even use when cutting grass anyway, but it goes real fast!
2 year full warranty I think

Toro 3000-52"--$7500--Dealer here was best I have gone to yet. He went out of his way to let me try out equipment, took me to the back and opened a sealed box with a suspension seat for me to try out. I'm sure I'd get great service here. Problem is this mower doesn't seem to match up well with the others I am looking at. Am I missing something here? Less HP than all the others (22), less top speed (8.5 mph), less room for gas (8 gallon tank), etc...but still about the same price.
5 year 1200 hour warranty

Ferris IS2000-52"--$7600--Have not gone to this dealer yet, but I plan to next week. Have heard great things about the suspension on these, and has a nice 25.5 HP Kawi motor on it. Could also get a 2100, but they won't be in stock at either of my local Ferris dealers until next month, and the price I'm sure will be higher, so would probably have to stick with the 2000.
2+2 year Ferris warranty

Husqvarna PZ54--$8,000--Have several dealers around that sell/service Husqvarna. Haven't taken a look at one yet. Not sure if I will, but the specs on it do look very solid. Doesn't have a striping kit available that I know of. 24.5 HP Kawi. Heard from a dealer here on lawnsite that sometimes it's hard to get parts from Husky in a timely fashion. Ever since I heard that I haven't been super excited about them
3 year warranty

So what do you all think? I'm losing my mind trying to make a decision. Really never imagined it would take me this long just to narrow my list down, although I am finally starting to lean toward a couple of these a bit.

Am I leaving something out I should look at? I should say though, as far as I know I have no Scag or Hustler dealer near me as I know those two are popular choices.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

We just bought a PZ54 last month. So far we love it.
We switched from Kubota.
This is our first Husky mower but it feels like a tank. I love that feeling.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i love my new gravely that i got last year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do not run any of these mowers but I voted for Deere simply because of the QOC I see from the 7 Iron like you mentioned...

GMLC is a respected member here and he swears by the Gravely line, he has great reviews up too...

I have always shied away from Toro for some reason. But Toro is one of the longest standing companies. They make A TON of turf equipment. And the other night I watched a video on the Turbo Force deck and I have to say it looked amazing...

Ferris reviews here on L.S are 50/50..... And a lot of that has to do with the suspension. The ICD deck is supposed to be really good but I have not seen it in person.

I agree with whoever said that Husqvarna's are like tanks. I have sat on the pz54 and it feels nice. Many folks on this site have talked about how Husqvarna is a great bang for the buck.

So there is my 2 cents. If you couldn't tell by my mentioning above that I am a QOC junkie, well, I am .... I love decks and deck technology. The way I see it, all of the z turns on the market today can use different gauge steels, hold x amount of fuel, full suspension, but if they don't cut the grass well, none of that matters....
Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know I am going to vote Gravely here. A few years ago I NEVER would have done that. Gravely has stepped up their game.

Overall I think the Deere may be the best overall mower, but for almost a grand less you can get the Gravely. I would take the savings.....
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-07-2014, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
I do not run any of these mowers but I voted for Deere simply because of the QOC I see from the 7 Iron like you mentioned...

GMLC is a respected member here and he swears by the Gravely line, he has great reviews up too...

I have always shied away from Toro for some reason. But Toro is one of the longest standing companies. They make A TON of turf equipment. And the other night I watched a video on the Turbo Force deck and I have to say it looked amazing...

Ferris reviews here on L.S are 50/50..... And a lot of that has to do with the suspension. The ICD deck is supposed to be really good but I have not seen it in person.

I agree with whoever said that Husqvarna's are like tanks. I have sat on the pz54 and it feels nice. Many folks on this site have talked about how Husqvarna is a great bang for the buck.

So there is my 2 cents. If you couldn't tell by my mentioning above that I am a QOC junkie, well, I am .... I love decks and deck technology. The way I see it, all of the z turns on the market today can use different gauge steels, hold x amount of fuel, full suspension, but if they don't cut the grass well, none of that matters....
QOC is the main reason (besides making my life easier) that I am getting a new mower. The two mowers I have now never cut anything right unless the grass is really short and in pretty good shape already. I have to mow many of my lawns two times, and often if the grass is kind of tall I have to mow them 3 times to get them to look the way I want them. I'm very picky about how the lawn looks when I leave, I just don't have the proper equipment to cut it once and leave a great quality cut.

Deere seems to be at the top for QOC from what I've read and heard, but I've seen and heard about some fantastic QOC from the Gravely decks as well. Not quite as confident in the Ferris, and just don't know enough about the others to tell for sure how they hold up.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I can tell you that the Husqvarnas are built like tanks. The new PZ series decks are awesome. With that being said John Deere's decks have been dominant for several years. The upper model toro's are good and like it has been said Gravely has been stepping up their game lately too. I used to run the JD 757 family (737, 757, 777) I currently run Husky and Scag though and am very impressed so far.

Also consider what you'll mainly be doing, rural urban etc...as well as dealer support. I know the Scag I have with the big block 35hp Vanguard will pretty much tackle anything thats wet/thick so I use that around rural areas and the Husky's where manicuring is more considered.

Last edited by Four_Seasons; 03-16-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_Seasons View Post
I can tell you that the Husqvarnas are built like tanks. The new PZ series decks are awesome. With that being said John Deere's decks have been dominant for several years. The upper model toro's are good and like it has been said Gravely has been stepping up their game lately too. I used to run the JD 757 family (737, 757, 777) I currently run Husky and Scag though and am very impressed so far.

Also consider what you'll mainly be doing, rural urban etc...as well as dealer support. I know the Scag I have with the big block 35hp Vanguard will pretty much tackle anything thats wet/thick so I use that around rural areas and the Husky's where manicuring is more considered.
Ended up going with the John Deere. Dealer support was a big part of my decision. Also the deck and QOC pretty much sealed the deal for me.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Good choice. That 7 Iron will treat you very well! Plus nothing beats close dealer support, no matter what brand!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Machine Pics? And let us see some cut pics too.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13