Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2014, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tear this one apart...

Well I have been reading, and doing what I can. I'm not a web designer by any means, and yes its hosted at go daddy. I did this a year ago before I knew better, and just started messing with their new web builder and put this together.

I just read the thread on the "about us" tab. I will work on making it more personal tonight after the little ones go to bed. Well here it is... what say you?

www.tuffturflawncare.com
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You actually have some good stuff on the About page- just not for that page. Some of it should be on your home page, other stuff should be on the services page.

Your home page picture is not yours. Prepare for the wrath of Tony.

It's clean, simple, clear. I think it works for you. I don't love Godaddy, but your site looks just fine.

Before I dive into SEO- what do you want the website to do for you? Are you hoping to get found online, or is it basically on online brochure for people to go to after they find you elsewhere?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
You actually have some good stuff on the About page- just not for that page. Some of it should be on your home page, other stuff should be on the services page.

Your home page picture is not yours. Prepare for the wrath of Tony.

It's clean, simple, clear. I think it works for you. I don't love Godaddy, but your site looks just fine.

Before I dive into SEO- what do you want the website to do for you? Are you hoping to get found online, or is it basically on online brochure for people to go to after they find you elsewhere?
I would like to be found online. Not as my sole means of advertising though as I do EDDM for the spring. I would like ot be on the first page, not #1 but on the first page if I search for "Venetia lawn care" or any other areas I serve with lawn care, grass cutting, landscape, etc. Not trying to get found under "Pittsburgh lawn care" as I dont plan on going that close to the city.

As for the pictures, as soon as I unpack the mowers I want to get a decent pic of me my walk behind in the back ground (after all its waxed and clean). Same with the front pic, I have a good pic of one clients house, but I want to get an ok in writing before I use it.

I read some of what you said about SEO and just this afternoon made some changes to the content, page descriptions, and page titles. I wanted to make more changes (based on what you guys had to say) then re submit the site to google to have it recrawled. It was crawled on 2-28-14 which was when I resubmitted it after I made what it is now. Prior to that it was just a landing page with the company name and phone number with no SEO at all. Probably not even indexed, lol.

How would recommend I restructure the content? Put most of the about us page on the home page?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

It looks pretty good to me. The only thing IMO wrong is that on your services page it says you offer Bush and Shrub Trimming. Technically, a shrub and bush are the same thing. If you trim small trees in the landscape, You might say: Ornamental Tree and Shrub Pruning. I just think "pruning" sounds more professional than "trimming"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Check out moz seo guide. It's a good read and isn't hard to understand
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very excellent! But, I don't like the front picture. The grass looks a bit dry to the left of the tree. If you take the photo on a cloudy day the grass looks greener. A photo with your smiling confident face is good.
Try to mention why your company is better than self-mowing. And why it is better than competitors.
Sharper blades. More experienced people. Straighter lines. Free string trimming. Phones answered 7 days until midnight...whatever.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Very excellent! But, I don't like the front picture. The grass looks a bit dry to the left of the tree.
Most people are not going to notice that but I do agree with Riggle. Someone could fix that for you in about 2 minutes with photoshop and that might be the best alternative.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A couple SEO thoughts: You really should read the MOZ guide, it will really help you to go through the basic stuff on your site and get it right. http://moz.com/learn/seo

For example, your "Titles" are too long. They should be under 70 characters long. H1 tags are really important. Your "services" page has 4 and one of them is over 300 characters long! These are just a couple basics to look at.

I noticed that you give a generic address, omitting the street. If that is what you want to do, fine, but then you need to hide it on your Google+ page too. https://plus.google.com/107620504985...10/about?hl=en
And click on the map on that G+ page, then embed that map- not the one you currently have. Do some reading on "Citations" and "NAP" to see why the address thing matters.

Hope that helps! Have fun :-)
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could you clarify the H1 H2 etc. I have been reading that and I'm not sure on the meanings or even the locations of these tags. I ran the site through an "SEO checker" and saw that it said my title tags are too long, I was gonna take the company name out of the title tags to shorten it under the 70 char threshold.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is the year--to get before and after pictures. You really have to plan ahead. Try to find the worst weedy dandelion or crabgrass beginning lawn(or non-lawn, if you are going to seed the dirt), and show the lawn perfect and dark green at the end of the year. Get the owners cooperation, even if you have to be extra nice to him. Parking your truck in the background adds a nice touch of authenticity and prevents others from downloading your pictures. Take several shots. Try putting your smiling competent face in the picture. And if you can, show an attractive (gorgeous) woman with a happy smile standing on her new green grass.
Cute kids and Dalmatian dog, optional.