Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Best cutting deck for Florida?

Which brand of zero turn mowers have the very best deck for awesome cut quality for florida grasses? Bahia grass,and St. Augustine grass are the 2 main types of grass here in florida.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

scag velocity 2
Old 10-04-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

So.. hustler zero turn mowers with the VX4 deck don't cut as nice as the scag velocity deck?
Old 10-04-2014, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrdoctor View Post
So.. hustler zero turn mowers with the VX4 deck don't cut as nice as the scag velocity deck?
Not in the northern states, but down in FLA, either one should work about the same, as well as the Gravely X factor and JD 7 Iron. The Gravely and JD decks will process the clippings a bit fine/smaller which leaves less windrowing or a grass carpet covering on lawns behind.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how true this is,but will a G5 Gator Blade help out with chopping up the grass clippings into smaller pieces,and not have all those long clippings laying on ground? I believe I read this somewhere,so please correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the G6/5 blades do chop the clippings up to noticeably smaller pieces. However, they can cause clumping sometimes when the grass is wet or really thick as they tend to pack the smaller clippings into wads then throw them out the chute. Overall though, they work very well.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have seriously been looking at buying a brand new wright zto 48" deck. My local dealer allowed me to demo one of these mowers. The demo had a 52" deck ,because he didn't have a demo with a 48" deck. One thing I noticed when I was mowing some wet bahia grass around 9am one morning,was that it left behind these small ball shaped grass after mowing each row. These were very very small,but I could see them as I was looking down ,and looking at the grass clippings as I was mowing. I doubt that this wright zto had the G5 gator blades on this mower. I'm sure the blades were standard blades from the factory.

Living in florida,there is a lot of rain during the summer months,and that's why I don't want to get buyers remorse after buying a new zero turn mower. I have waych several videos on youtube regarding the hustler vx4 deck,and there seems to be a lot of complaints regarding grass clumping a early morning somewhat wet grass.

It would be nice to know if I did buy a wright zto 48" deck,and used the G5 gator baldes would that make for a super awesome looking cut,or would it make things worse?

As I go online and look at different decks ( aerocore deck, VX4 deck, and the scag velocity deck) ,they all look very similar. I'm sure there is some kind of science behind the design of each of these decks,and how the air flows,etc.

Man...I really want to make the right decision!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Wrights have been in threads here lately, and not a lot of good stuff either. The new aerocore deck doesn't seem to be all that good. Another case of re-inventing the wheel it seems.

I can tell you firsthand that the 7 Iron decks work extremely well in the wet as do the V+ from Scag. If wet performance is a main concern for you, I'd look at one of those two machines. The JD standers are nothing more than Wright machines built to JD specs, but the decks are the same, so no help there. If they would have built them with the Wright machine, and a 7 Iron deck, they'd have taken over the stander market in no time.

I used to live in Orlando, and I know all about the rain down there LOL
Old 10-04-2014, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

In the summer months I usually don't start mowing grass until at least 9am in the morning,to let the grass dry out more. I would like to be able to start as early as 8am sharp,which would be great! This is off topic,but another thing about the hustler x-one 48" VX4 deck, is that this mower weighs a little over 1200 lbs. The wright zto 48" deck ,and the scag tiger cat 48" deck weigh about the very same at 1050 lbs. Having a mower that is lighter will prob help with not making ruts in the grass I mow.

Something I didn't mention earlier is that I don't mulch the grass with a mulch kit when I mow. I use an OCDC ,and have that wide open unless I close it when getting close to flower beds,etc.

My local dealer also carries Snapper Pro (ICD Cutting System) , but I'm not really happy with a red lawn mower. I know that sounds silly,but that's just me. LOL! Now...if I painted those snapper pro greyish rims to the color of soild blk, that might look a little cooler to me.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

You're over thinking things. Look what is on every LCO's trailer. Scag, Exmark or Hustler. Why? Because that is what works best in our area. Like I told you on another thread you can't go wrong with the Velocity Deck. I use this deck everyday in the morning dew and in the light rain. You can't go wrong with the Scag. Have you demoed the Scag to compare it to the Wright?