Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawi fj180v

I bought a used eXmark metro 26 with the Kawi FJ180V on it in the middle of last season. I gave $850 for it and it was not used much. Previous owner said ~20 hrs, and I believe that to be fairly correct as the bottom of the deck still had most all of the paint in it. Recently the mower started burning oil.
I would clean the air filter every other week. Can't say it was religiously, but I tried to stay with that. Sometimes more often, sometimes less often. I've noticed that the filter gets nasty quick. Did I dust the motor and gouge the cylinder wall? Has anyone else had this issue?
I have been cleaning the filter weekly now, religiously. The mower does not blow blue smoke except at startup now, but you can still smell the burning oil. I serviced the mower yesterday and the plug had a lot of oil deposit on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure it's burning oil? As in, filling it full of oil on Monday and by Friday it's low on the dip stick?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it is definitely burning oil. I have to add oil every other week. Also, I just changed the oil a couple of weeks ago and it is filthy already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well then I assume something happened during the break in period before you took ownership. If it's worth it, tear the motor down and see what the problem is...no magic fix other than replacing what's broke
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

You have cracked piston ring, that is why you get smoke on start up and you are burning oil while running. The motor is worth taking apart and changing the rings. If you have any kind of skills do it your self, but if not then pay to have it fixed. The rings run approximately $30-$80 for parts only however it is worth having a gasket kit added and installed due to having to get a new head gasket and other gaskets as well. The gasket kit SAVES a lot of money instead of buying individual gaskets.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What causes cracked piston rings? Just so I know.

I can do it, but I do not have any honing tools , if that needs done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Honing may not be needed. You will have to get in it to find out. The local auto part store sells a cheap honing tool or try Harbor Freight.com
Old 08-17-2014, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My experience with the non-KAI FJ180V and I've owned three of them is that it is a lemon and you'll need to put parts on it at some point. I can think of five things that happened to your mower:

1) the original owner broke-in the engine on WOT

2) the original owner did not put enough oil in, most Japanese motors have a flange-level dipstick that is easy to misread.

3) the case gasket is leaking already at the oil channel (very very common), has covered the cooling fins and the engine overheated.

4) the air filter housing has warped already allowing dirt to bypass the filter. Also you cleaning method could have torn a hole in the filter

5) the owner changed the oil WITHOUT PRE-FILLING THE OIL FILTER. The FJ is a real mistake waiting to happen regarrding this. It has a HUGE oil filter compared to it's oil pump. So if you put a dry filter on it and start, the engine will be starved of oil for several minutes, not to mention the sump level will drop dangerously low. As messy as it is, make sure to always prime your oil filter on an FJ180V when replacing it.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Last edited by jkilov; 08-17-2014 at 12:43 PM.