Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pulled the trigger... Mulch kit for Gravely

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger for the new 36" Gravely.

The spring growth has slowed down quite a bit, I'm tired of having to use my 30" as a mulch machine rather then the 36", talked to the dealer, he said he'd throw in a free pair of mulch blades, and install the mulch kit for free upon pickup. So my Gravely 36" will be a mulching machine within a week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone with a 36" Gravely and a mulch kit mind sharing how much you paid? Dealer gave me a price tag of $75.00 with free installation. I'm looking on Parts tree and can't find a full kit for that cheap?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That kit looks easy to install compared to the one that my Wright and Toro use. Shouldn't take but 10 minutes to remove.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/36-m...-models/989241
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the install is anywhere similar to my Ferris, you owe him more than $75!
Dinner and a movie at a minimum - "something more" afterward would be probably be appropriate.

(waits for post to be removed)
Old 06-10-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
That kit looks easy to install compared to the one that my Wright and Toro use. Shouldn't take but 10 minutes to remove.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/36-m...-models/989241

I wonder if that's the kit that they ordered. Sounds about right $82 vs. $75. I'd be happy with that kit I think rather then just a block off plate. Looks like a full mulch kit with the baffle, block off, and blades. That's more of what I was hoping it was. Also the install on that one doesn't look as bad compared to what I hear some of you guys going through!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if that is the kit. I seen it listed for 2009 and later but didn't see your model 988151 listed.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I don't know if that is the kit. I seen it listed for 2009 and later but didn't see your model 988151 listed.

I guess time will tell. I'll let you know exactly what it is when it comes in. I should have asked for more details, but I was busy when I placed the call. As long as it's a full "mulch kit" with the baffle, I think I'll be satisfied.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update and a question for you guys.

So today I talked to the dealership, he looked up the order and told me the kit was on back order and told me it's going to be a month before I could get the mulch kit in. Called another dealer, he told me the same thing. I found the kit in stock 45 minutes down the road, so I shot down there and grabbed it since it was high on my priority list. (I took the hybrid and saved gas at least!)

Now to the fun part, I got back and thought I was going to rush and put it on quickly so I could get back to work. Well, you probably know as well as I do, that didn't happen. Installed it, after 30 minutes of frustration, I finally got it lined up and got it on. Crank of the Gravely, and clack clack. The blades are in contact with the mulch kit. So I get to further looking around, calling the dealer, a mechanic, nobody knows what's going on. Turns out I needed to take the hammer and tap the baffle under the deck and run the curve on the baffle outside of the discharge chute rather then the inside. I beat on it a few minutes and got it to all line up, put it back together. And now I'm mulching.

The first lawn, was a weekly that got skipped for a week. The grass is fertilized and irrigated so it got pretty tall after they wanted to skip the week before. I finish up the lawn and notice some stragglers with each pass. I ran over it a second time, after the second time it looked like a baseball field compared to when I was discharging. The second pass took out the stragglers and the grass that had grown tall, the clippings we're now undetectable. The lawn looked excellent.

Now I know I can't mow every lawn twice, nor can I afford to unless I'm getting paid double. So now I'm looking for suggestions. The mulch kit came with a baffle that's one piece, curves around, and also covers up the discharge chute. The kit did not come with mulching blades. So I currently have the high lifts on there. Do I need to switch to mulching blades, if so are there any suggestions? I thought I read somewhere someone mentioned to run high lifts with the mulch kit. But I've also read someone said don't install the kit without the blades. My high lifts we're sharp, but would love to hear opinions on whether or not I need mulching blades for this kit!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I ordered a bulk order of the wavy mulch blades I think should have been included with the kit. We'll see if these things mulch any better within the next week!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never used one before let us know how hard it is to get on and off and the results of the cut.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=108
John Deere Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=109

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)