Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2003, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

What will kill "star of bethlehem"

I am really puzzled by this weed! I have seen it popping up all over middle and west Tennessee have not found a way to kill it. It looks like a small version of "monkey grass" and almost looks pleasing with its dark green color and light strip down the middle, but always apears in the not so pleasing areas like a typical yard.

I was talking with one of my turf mgmt. proffessors and they havent heard of anything that will kill it, not even round up ultra. Has anyone else had a similar problem? It is a very hardy plant with a durable, smooth outer texture.

Anyone else with simialar problems?
Old 04-07-2003, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Also in Middle TN and yet to find a cure. It seems to fade away in late spring but will be back. Might try some dynamite. (TNT)
Old 04-07-2003, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since Star of Bethlehem is similar in life cycle to wild onion, I started treating with ester formulation of 2,4-D as soon as Star of Bethlehem grew out well (usually late Mar here, just now this year). In 2 (or maybe 3) years of application, I have reduced one area, about 15 ft x 50 ft of solid star of B plants, by about 90%. Actually, appl last year was Riverdale's Cool Power, an ester of MCPA, if I remember right.

They will not completely die down after treatment, but will yellow significantly and will not flower. It usually takes a few treatments to completely control any type of weed with bulbs or tubers as root structure.

If they have not yet flowered for you guys in TN, I'd try an ester control right now.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim,
I didnt know they flowered. I thought they just looked like a small version of ornamental grass. I talked with the head plant expert at UT Extension, Dr. Tom Samples and he told me that repetitive treatments of 2,4-D is the way to go, hence repetitive. I just got done with two 9 page papers, one on brown patch disease and the other on plant growth regulators. I will probably post them if anyone would like to take a gander. Sure put alot of time in them. Im working on the power point presentation as we speak for both of them, 15 minute speach each.
Jereme
Old 04-07-2003, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pike,
I'd like to read your papers. Post them when you get a minute.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Plant gets its name from the little white flower. They spread by division and by seed. Get denser every year unless controlled, and usually do best in shady, sandy areas up here.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

other than the light stripe it sounds like johnson grass. this is hard to control too.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Member

More durable, hearty plant than Johnson Grass with thinner leaf blades. When you pull the leaf in two, there is a stringy film in the veins. Rubbery texture.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Learn about "Star of Bethlehem" weed: http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/otgum.htm . Their leaves are hollow and very moist. When they get dense enough, mowing is like mowing peas - every pass through a the 50' bed mentioned above, the mush would have to be removed from the mower deck by bucketfuls. Sometimes twice in one pass, ugh.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've battled "Star of Beth." in middle Tn. for years and have to say that ester formulations work the best. Turflon ester applied when the temps are within the labels range can be particularly devastating to this problem. Even the lowest rate with 2,4-d gives excellent control for this and many hard-to-control broadleaves including the bane of my existence...wild garlic/onions. Control is very fast in warm weather and is superior to the premixed ester formulations in that you can adjust to rising/falling temps we get in the spring. Good luck.