Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Blue Corrosion at a gate valve above water heater

Does this mean that there is something wrong with an electrical element within my hot water heater?

also, I think a tank that big should provide longer lasting heat than that....

Last edited by RhettMan; 03-04-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: dont know
Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

If what your explaining is what i think it is then its probably just built up minerals from the water. If its around a valve, the valve had a small leak at some point. Sometimes the minerals will clog up the leak and you wont ever have a problem.

That being said you should flush the tank and try to get rid of any built up minerals in the tank atleast once a year. Will really help the longevity of your heater. Google hot water heater maintenance and you can do it all yourself. Its pretty simple.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
Does this mean that there is something wrong with an electrical element within my hot water heater?

also, I think a tank that big should provide longer lasting heat than that....
Trying to remember high school chemistry. Isn't copper sulfate blue? But I'm thinking I heard sulfur from bad Chinese drywall turns copper black?

Running out of hot water? Does a teenager live in the house?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinapride View Post
If what your explaining is what i think it is then its probably just built up minerals from the water. If its around a valve, the valve had a small leak at some point. Sometimes the minerals will clog up the leak and you wont ever have a problem.

That being said you should flush the tank and try to get rid of any built up minerals in the tank atleast once a year. Will really help the longevity of your heater. Google hot water heater maintenance and you can do it all yourself. Its pretty simple.
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks, i didnt know if the metal type or types on the valve acted odd given a certain situation....

I really dont know what Im scratching at, other than i remember them telling me something about the reason that the threaded peice between the y-filter and DCA needed to be a certain tpye of metal due to dissemilar metal or something like that, brass i think...

I just dont want to get shocked when I tackle this. that is why I go-ahead and further prove my ignorance here...
Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls8xx View Post
Trying to remember high school chemistry. Isn't copper sulfate blue? But I'm thinking I heard sulfur from bad Chinese drywall turns copper black?

Running out of hot water? Does a teenager live in the house?
In high school chemistry I was too busy day-dreaming about my girlfriend and who else she might be flirting with.

yes running out of hot water quickly, no teenager,..... and i myself am rather quick in the shower, cant get internet in there.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

You may have a broken element or a really dirty one. They are pretty easy to replace. Or take a wire brush and clean. I have to replace a hot water heater today because some smart person decided to sit it on copper pipes causing the bottom tank to rust out over the years
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the tank is greater than 10 years old I'd replace it. There is probably nothing wrong with the valve above the tank. Possibly the packing was leaking at some point causing the "corrosion" you are seeing. Make sure you know the proceedure for refilling the tank or you will fry the elements.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinapride View Post
You may have a broken element or a really dirty one. They are pretty easy to replace. Or take a wire brush and clean. I have to replace a hot water heater today because some smart person decided to sit it on copper pipes causing the bottom tank to rust out over the years
Posted via Mobile Device
suppose the pressure releif valve male adapter, tank basin/tray, and one flex hose gate value all had blue corrosion? anything?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rhett , Im going to ask a stupid guestion. How big is the tank?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just an FYI.... the silt in the base of hot water heaters (as it relates to heating the water) is not as big an issue in electric tanks as it is in gas tanks.