Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Screening potential employees

So my guy last year who was awesome has left me and is going to pursue his career in electrical, as he was going to school for. I found him from craigslist, first guy I interviewed and it could not have worked out better.

I approached craigslist again this year. Im looking for 1 full time and 1 part time for now. I have had close to 40 emails this week.

My screening starts in the email. Some are incoherent, extremely short while others are well typed and have resumes attached.

Most all resumes aren't impressing me. It appears the thing to do is get a new job every 6 months and take atleast 3 months off in between jobs. I don't know about the rest of you, but before working for myself I was at the same company 8 years.

Next, and this is a biggy....Ive been checking Facebooks!! The amount of time and headache I am sparing myself by doing this is unreal. Its almost become comical at this point, but nevertheless its frustrating. Some of the better emails and those who sounded like just what I was looking for must be leading double lives. The photos and things they say on FB are ridiculous. Posting drunk photos and pics of their abs daily, smoking grass lol holding up bottles of booze in trashy looking apartments, all tatted up from head to toe including on their hands, neck, and face. That's not guna fly in the places I service. And the things they say. F this F that I almost beat this fool down today. N word this N word that etc etc....its UNREAL! If I were searching for a job, I would definitely make my FB private if it was like that. I personally don't even have a FB but I cant very well hire people like this.

Next, phone calls. Half the guys I decided to call around 2pm sounded half asleep or hungover. Ring ring ring......

Them: Ello....
Me: Hi is this (insert name here)?
Them: Chea....
Me: Hi this is ME from LANDSCAPE COMPANY you contacted on craigslist
Them: Oh, oh, word, yea....whattup
Me: in my head ( oh god help me)

Ive found MAYBE 3 potential guys from CL so far worth meeting. MAYBE

Hows it going for anybody else who is currently hiring?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doing good but like you said...tons of screening. It's crazy the entertainment. How are they even serious about getting a job? When your fb picture is a pot plant.....I've seen them all. I've nearly given up on cl and mostly put out help wanted ads in stores where workers stop for lunch etc or in newspapers. Look for people with full time jobs they've had for awhile like your said.
Stihl 4mix handhelds
+1 fully stocked fridge in the shop!

USMC!!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had a few on cl that were hilarious.

One was a husband wife team who could start at nine and be done by 1 so they could put the kids on the bus, really.

Another showed for an interview and his answer for everything was "I just need a job man. I'll work for $8 an hour I just need a job......."

They make you laugh sometimes.

Out of 10 replies we are setting up an interview with one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it just gets better, a new email today...found his FB, tatted up all the way to his chin. but wait it gets better, a buffalo news article showed he was arrested last month as gun shots were called in for a drive by shooting on a home, police pulled him over as a suspect and found a heroin needle with residue on it. back to his facebook...his brother and sister are pleading with him to stop using herion and get his life together. he said he knows he needs to stop using heroin or hes guna die. hes got 1 kid and one on the way, so he probably should put the needle down. he works for a local landscape company already..they can keep him.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh man....some of the interview this week. One guy actually telling me about his drug problem before I even asked....out of control!!! It was hilarious - I heard him yelling outside to himself as he drove away. Very similar to what HPS said above. Craziness!! And this was a supervisory position that he was shooting for!!! hahahahha Think I finally found 2-4 guys I would be comfortable with out of like 25 applicants. Many more called to emailed but then never got the application back to me. Looking up people's facebook page is awesome!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Forgot the email that said God had endowed him with a big "unit" instead of a big brain but that he could work his butt off. No kidding. Another guy's previous employment had reason for leaving: "s*** hit the fan". Can't make this stuff up.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spoke to a guy on the phone today who seemed decent via FB. Again, this one too sounded half baked on the phone at first but perked up a bit after a minute. So when I ask if he would like to do a face to face he said "we'll I don't have a car I got in an accident and didn't have insurance". I said, well....how would you get to work if I gave you a job? He said "I dunno your the employer". I couldn't help but laugh and my wife overhead this and was giving me the wtf face. I said again, well what's your plan? He said, "ummmm a bus I guess". Yea, a bus is going to take you to my place of business. So I told him I didn't think it would work out and got off the phone. My wife then says "hey, he's friends on Facebook with the heroin guy". Unbelievable but not suprised!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahahhahah.....this is all hilarious but also sad. How can people complain about the economy when we can't even find decent basic laborers!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know seriously, I shouldnt have to sift through 40 people to find maybe one who doesn't look like a gang banger and isn't a drug addict. I'm not a fan of facebook but when it comes to screening employees its the best place to start. It can tell you who they are before you even meet them.

On a positive note I hired a guy this morning. He is local and very normal. He told me where he worked before and I called them up since Ive known the owners of that business my whole life. They said he was always on time, positive attitude and had nothing bad to say about him. Just that his schedule wasn't able to work with theirs anymore. Well his schedule works with mine and he is a clean cut, non druggy, well spoken guy going to night school with a couple years experience working on the grounds at a cemetery so Im giving him a shot. I just need to find 1 more guy and i'll be good to go. Maybe OBAMA can help us out in these rough times and find us some decent employees Afterall we need to get the people back to work right!!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I always go for the intelligent ones over experience, they listen and learn so quickly. Very soon they are as good if not better than the ones with all the experience. One guy (now team leader at 23 yrs old) I told him he will need to know names and how to prune plants correctly. No joke, within three months he knew around 400 and all the varieties too! You don't want guys as bright as a 4 watt bulb...