Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome from Northern VA. As easy-lift guy said, your anxiousness is completely normal, in fact, if you werent nervous about this venture, I would think something is wrong. The big thing is letting people see your work, and setting yourself apart from the competition. As long as you do work and customers are happy, word will spread about your great company and will grow from there. Good luck with the new business!!!
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Relax. You already have a solid background in sales so you know what materials cost. Estimating is the hardest skill to learn for new guys because they underbid materials and then it comes out of their labor. You have a Hort degree! Lots of these guys don't know a Dandelion from a Daffodil. You will be far beyond a grass cutter before you know it. Be confident and put those sales skills to use on the customers, most of whom need to be told what they need/want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Ha! Add Pimp hat to the old hat rack! Thats an interesting perspective, but one Im very excited about. Constantly Pimping myself for SOMEONE ELSE is what had me ready to pull my hair out. There is something very motivating about making it on your own. I feel like the email invoices and remote bill pay will set me apart from the countless others out there. And countless is NOT an exagerration. Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement. The wife is really encouraging as well, which is very helpful. Just gotta get that mower already and Ill be off to the races. Just bid on a post office and i dont even have the mower yet. Ha!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

i have used quickbooks for 4 years, easy to use and keeps track of all the taxes and the profits and losses. a little secret if you don't want to spend the $200 dollars, download the free trial which lets you use everything on the program and you can open and close it 15 times. which all i do is leave it open on my computer in the the background, but the flaw in their system is every time the have an update (usually once a month) the 15 open and closes restarts.

feel like a cheep a$@ but if it boots me out i have the money to pay for the full version
Old 03-09-2014, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats pretty funny, but its good to know the trial can be long enough to get familiar with something. Cheap @s's always seem to have money, ha! Im trying to become one. I think that comes with maturity. Im inching closer. Thanks for the tip Logan.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I downloaded 2013 pro from amazon. It was a lot cheaper
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Anxiety, what is that? Lol we all stress and I think most of us all the time. You just need to learn how to put your anxiety into productivity. QuickBooks is good, and the online version is cheap. Know your cost of operation. How much you need per month, week, and day. Don't let your business run you, always maintain control despite the chaos. Learn basic mechanical skills. Learn your mower and how to tear it appart and put it back together. Waiting for the shop to repair a broken deck bearing isn't going to fly most of he time. Think risk managemnt. Plan for the unexpected, and don't be surprised when the impossible happened.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also when it comes to lawn estimates for me its about time alloted to mow rather than how long it takes to mow. A good example is that a hired employee is usually slower than the owner. What takes me 1 hr might take him a hr 15. So always give yourself extra time. Always understimate yourself rather than over. From what I've seen guys add 15-20 percent for error room. That stubborn sidewalk edge, children toys, or extra growth can really throw off your game for the day and or week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2014, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thsts good stuff. Youre the second person thats told me something weird is gonna happen at some point--to be prepared. I guess Ill brace myself. Im resisting the temptation to lower prices--stick to fundamentals, common sense and let those jobs/bids go that arent worth the time. At this point Im all talk, but my state exam is Wednesday, so after that its go time. If this local sign/graphics place would only get it in gear!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Greetings from INDIANA!!!