Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilllight View Post
I think I will pass and stand by my original reply as an answer...If you prefer MRs...I will not attempt to change your mind...by all means .... continue ..... we will be ships passing in the starry night.....))
You didn't answer my original question. You mentioned a 10w MR. If you are talking about a 10 watt LED MR, no one I know puts a 10 watt LED into a fixture. And are you testing MR LED's specifically designed for landscape lighting fixtures or just any cheap MR's you can find. You didn't mention anything about the heat escaping from inside an enclosed well. That was the question. Not which one has a bigger heat sink, but in an enclosed PVC unit vs. an enclosed brass, copper, whatever unit, which material dissipates heat better. You didn't come anywhere near answering that question. As for the last couple sentences of your initial reply, I have no clue what that is supposed to mean.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay....if the question is which material transfers heat...I agree metal does PVC doesn't however, this isn't the question as it relates for a true comparison. The housing of a well light does not need to be a part of the thermal management system and isn't at all necessary to combat heat. The large heat sink on a PAR 36 can handle more heat than what is even currently produced. There is room on the same heat sink for higher wattage leds which if you need something higher in an MR16 format, they have to make lamps larger so often the lamps don't fit in standard MR16 fixtures. The dissipation of heat for an LED MR-16 in a bullet light doesn't actually transfer to the body often because nothing touches the housing. The lamp floats and the only contact point the heat sink has to the fixture is the socket. Sockets are ceramic usually so they don't help to transfer the heat to the body so as mentioned the heat gets trapped inside causing a temperature that prematurely fails either the form of the MR-16 by warping or the circuits fail and surge....If my statements are difficult to understand I do apologize. I am trying to be clear and offer an answer that I believe and have test results that show a PAR 36 LED in a fixture is superior at managing heat internally and is observed by the fact that there are higher wattage LED options available today for PAR 36 in the same heat sink footprint and there are not higher options for the MR16 unless they use larger heat sinks requiring larger fixtures...Now, if you use something that contacts the lamp to the body like a metal mesh...this could aid in heat transfer...but you are still using a LED lamp designed for interior use when the PAR 36 LED is designed for IP 67....or better.....this is a huge distinction that should be considered when comparing which to be the right choice...I hope this does clarify...good day...
Old 04-12-2014, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Think of the baking sheet or cookie sheet after it comes out of the oven. You can touch it almost immediately due to it's aluminum characteristics. Plastics will simply not cool down or dissipate heat that quickly nor that easily. Unfortunately for me, I can't use much aluminum down here on the East coast of Florida.