Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

SEO tips

Hey guys. A few months ago, my site was no where to be found on Google. Now it is on the 2nd page and hopefully climbing. If any of you SEO gurus out there have a few tips for me on how I can increase my SEO, I would appreciate it. I really want to get my site on the 1st page soon.
www.whisperingpineslawncare.com

Also, this is a competitor's site in my area, and it ranks very high for most of the main keywords. Why do you think that is? Doesn't seem like it has much content.. www.myallseasonlawncare.com
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Could be cause I'm on my phone but some of the links on the bottom of your page do not work. Search engines hate this.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for letting me know. I'll get that fixed ASAP..
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLC View Post
Hey guys. A few months ago, my site was no where to be found on Google. Now it is on the 2nd page and hopefully climbing. If any of you SEO gurus out there have a few tips for me on how I can increase my SEO, I would appreciate it. I really want to get my site on the 1st page soon.
www.whisperingpineslawncare.com

Also, this is a competitor's site in my area, and it ranks very high for most of the main keywords. Why do you think that is? Doesn't seem like it has much content.. www.myallseasonlawncare.com
Maybe the biggest tip at this point in time, is don't get too wrapped up in the SEO and website thing.

Work on your site, but don't wrapped up in it excessively, because any site could drop like a brick overnight.

If you were able to get work without a website, then put equal work into the "SEO" of that side of the business too.

Also, have your customers look at your site, even if you already work for them. Ask them what they like best about it. What website professionals think can often be off-the-mark because they don't think like your customers. Find out what your real audience thinks.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A couple things to check on:

1- Your site will never quit loading for me in Chrome. I used an online validator and a lot of errors were reported. I am not a technical guy so I can't hep you with that.

2- Home page has 3 H1's (none of which are helping you) and 3 H2's.

3- Title tag is too long.

4- NAP in footer is incomplete- no phone #.

Your competitor has more links and valid HTML. The site is solid- not fantastic. Keep working and you will get there.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
A couple things to check on:

1- Your site will never quit loading for me in Chrome. I used an online validator and a lot of errors were reported. I am not a technical guy so I can't hep you with that.

2- Home page has 3 H1's (none of which are helping you) and 3 H2's.

3- Title tag is too long.

4- NAP in footer is incomplete- no phone #.

Your competitor has more links and valid HTML. The site is solid- not fantastic. Keep working and you will get there.
1. I noticed that as well because I use Chrome. But when I asked others to check it out, it was loading fine.
2. Can you explain this to me? I'm not even sure what but H1's and H2's are.
3. I believe my title tag is 70 characters exactly, which I think is the maximum recommended.
4. Thanks! I will add that.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLC View Post
2. Can you explain this to me? I'm not even sure what but H1's and H2's are.
H = "Heading" The H1 tag lets the search engine know that this is an important item on the page- so it should have a main keyword in it. H2 is a less important item, H3 even less. Usually you want only 1 H1 per page- though if it used in your header and main body that is fine. The main thing is to have it be meaningful.

Learn more here: http://www.verticalmeasures.com/reso...ngine-ranking/
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Sponsor

Speed matters for search results and visitor experience (if you care for details, read this). Try running your site through the Pingdom Speed Tool here: http://tools.pingdom.com

It shows you where the bottlenecks are - you've got two key ones:

1. Your hosting provider is slow returning the initial HTML file when requested (2+ seconds is WAY long). Nothing else loads until this file is sent. It might be a problem in your wordpress installation or it might be a sign of an overloaded host.

2. It looks like you've got a plugin "Wordfence" that is causing load issues. This might be the problem causing issue #1 (or vice versa). You can see some discussion about this here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/r...-shared-server

Hope this helps!

Aaron
Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
H = "Heading" The H1 tag lets the search engine know that this is an important item on the page- so it should have a main keyword in it. H2 is a less important item, H3 even less. Usually you want only 1 H1 per page- though if it used in your header and main body that is fine. The main thing is to have it be meaningful.

Learn more here: http://www.verticalmeasures.com/reso...ngine-ranking/
Can you let me know what my h1 tags are right now? I tried for an hour to figure them out, but couldn't find how to change them. What are some good examples of a h1 tag if you are targeting lawn care in Grand Rapids?
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsites View Post
Speed matters for search results and visitor experience (if you care for details, read this). Try running your site through the Pingdom Speed Tool here: http://tools.pingdom.com

It shows you where the bottlenecks are - you've got two key ones:

1. Your hosting provider is slow returning the initial HTML file when requested (2+ seconds is WAY long). Nothing else loads until this file is sent. It might be a problem in your wordpress installation or it might be a sign of an overloaded host.

2. It looks like you've got a plugin "Wordfence" that is causing load issues. This might be the problem causing issue #1 (or vice versa). You can see some discussion about this here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/r...-shared-server

Hope this helps!

Aaron
Awesome. That helps a lot. I will delete the Wordfence plugin and hopefully that will fix the problem.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old