Register free!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Dead... something within dormant bermuda

Good Morning,

My wife and I recently bought a home and the yard is going to be quite a project since it has been severely neglected. We're in the DFW area, so the Bermuda is still dormant. However, there are dark/black areas throughout the front yard, that I believe may be dead Bermuda, but I'm not 100% sure. Hoping it's nothing disease-related.

I've attached a few pictures of the yard. The first includes the neighbor's yard to help show the contrast (not that it is necessary). Then there is a closer up picture of a black area, and then a picture of some of the pieces I pulled out.

What can I do about this? I'm familiar with the general rules of thumb for maintaining a Bermuda yard, but I'm not sure fertilizing, aerating, and deep watering once a week when the Bermuda starts to green up is going to be a solution for this large of a problem. Or perhaps it is. Any guidance/advise/tips/comments are appreciated!

Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by mike all together; 03-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to guess that's last years crabgrass
Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, looks like last years unwanted weeds died. I would scalp the lawn and bag. Fertilize with some good fertilizer when time calls for.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully it is a top-quality Bermuda that is a bit more sensitive to cold. And hopefully--it will come back strongly when the weather warms up. Then again I am 2000 miles from you--still have snow here.
Call a pro--he will have proper equipment; let an experienced expert look at it, fertilize it, and kill the weeds.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The part of the yard close to the house does not have this, correct? Does that part have irrigation by chance.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, it's definitely not dead crabgrass - we have plenty in the backyard. See the attached for what that looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
The part of the yard close to the house does not have this, correct? Does that part have irrigation by chance.
The area closer to the house is like this, too. The other side of the front yard, which is separated by the driveway, has weeds, but does not have this problem.

There is a properly functioning irrigation system covering the entire yard.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i doubt you have any dead bermuda. It look's thin and wet but bermudagrass is tough stuff. You can have a nice stand of grass with the right input's.

You've gotta remember that when they built that house they probably used a bulldozer or a similar piece of equipment to prepare the lot. Compaction from that can be a real issue. Contractor's truck's cause a lot of damage to. I don't know about your area but stripping and selling the topsoil from development's is real common in the US. If that house is made of brick i'll bet you have some rubble around the foundation. Trash pile's in the middle of the yard, who know's? Unless you were there, you just don't know. You've got to look at the big picture on this.

Take photo's from all four corner's of your lot. Try to be as wide angle as you can. That help's me a lot.

It look's too wet to me. Do you know, for sure, how much water per week you put down? Are you sure that the irrigation system is functioning properly? Does every head work like it should? What time of day do you water? There are a lot of little detail's that can make or break a yard. If you get them right it make's a noticeable difference. Your lucky to have bermuda, a warm season grass, that make's your job much easier. If you have any question's, just ask. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi agrostis,

Thank you for the detailed response. In my initial post, I should have mentioned that it is wet because it was raining the morning I took the pictures. I'm not watering much using the irrigation system since it's winter. Once summer hits, I'll do the once-a-week deep watering. I once watered three weeks ago when I put down pre-emergence, and we've gotten periodic rain since.

Understood on the conditions of the lot from development. I know from the small area I dug up to replace one sprinkler head, I found around 6 rusty nails and a couple of other treasures, so I'm sure that wasn't isolated to that one area.

I've taken a few pictures, as you requested. Let me know if you want to see any close-ups of particular areas. I have to say, the pictures make the yard appear to be a much smoother surface than it really is. It's got a huge amount of dips and raises throughout - picture the surface of the moon covered in weeds and sprinkled with grass.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, rushed through that and didn't answer a few of your questions regarding irrigation.

When the time comes for weekly watering, I will water around 1", once per week, verifying with a few tuna cans and the very technical soil moisture test (screwdriver poke).

The irrigation system has been adjusted by a professional as part of our contract when purchasing. I noticed some improper overlap in the backyard, as well as some fence watering, but I've already adjusted those.

I will/do water in the early AM shortly before and running into sunrise. Never in the evening or when the sun will defeat the purpose.

I hope this helps! I've educated myself over the last few years as best as I can regarding lawn care for Bermuda, but I'm certainly starting with a bad situation with this lawn.

Michael
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I appreciate those picture's, that give's me a much better idea of what's going on with your yard. I was looking at the weather in your area... man, that's bermuda country. You average in the 90's June, July and August.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USTX0045

FYI - You are in Zone 8a.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

Local resource's -

http://dallas.tamu.edu/

http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/

http://publications.tamu.edu/TURF_LA...ss%20Lawns.pdf

http://nacogdoches.agrilife.org/file...fertilizer.pdf

http://aroundtheyard.com/the-news/71-bermuda-bible.html

The # of the JDL store closest to you is 220.

https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/home/locations.aspx

All this is just some light reading for you.

I will have some more observation's tomorrow.