Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Home Advser

Does or has anyone use home adviser for advertizing? If so anything good or bad to say about it?

Thanks
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

All my stuff is used but its paid for
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedlawn View Post
Does or has anyone use home adviser for advertizing? If so anything good or bad to say about it?

Thanks
I do I love it.you pay for every lead but its worth it for sure
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannin76 View Post
I do I love it.you pay for every lead but its worth it for sure
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks,
Im looking for some form of online advertising an was looking into it.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

All my stuff is used but its paid for
Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedlawn View Post
Thanks,
Im looking for some form of online advertising an was looking into it.
What's your number I'll get you in contact with my online marketing consultant Abby
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=fannin76;4983330]What's your number I'll get you in contact with my online marketing consultant Abby
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOT

What does a lead cost?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

In my area a lead cost between $5-$20
Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ill give you some words of wisdom when using home advisor. I went thorugh the loop with this company and i just want to warn you before you get yourself into some problems with them

To say the least, they are a caniving money machine charging you for leads. In my opinion, though they do generate leads, its an absolute waste of money and they are ripping all of their contractors off. Its too expensive and your money would be better spent on EDDM advertising.

What they do in the initial phone call to set you up as a service provider is ask all of these personal questions about yourself, and background information on the company. Assuring you that the leads they are giving you are only being given to you and another contractor. I was extreamly sceptical with this, but my assumptions were right, in the end.

The next step is they ask you what services you provide, and as you list them off, they start checking boxes at their end for services they can send you leads from. They king of question you to see if you can really handle extra work, acting like its a get rich quick scheme and you will be overwhelemed with work. For me, i wanted them to send me very few leads and very specific leads and i made that very clear to the guy "taking my order" because i was so sceptical....Then i asked a thousand questions and "set up my budget with the guy, telling him i dont want to spend more than 125 bucks per week with them, because i want to try them out before i get too involved and too invested"

I went through the "swear in" part of the phone call and finished up and he assured me i would love the system.

Then about a week later i started receiving leads. The leads were very uninteresting people looking to get the cheapest quote. Not a quote from a reputable company looking to do good work. Every lead sent out, is sent to 5 companies. I found this out after i talked to a prospective client being snoopy and asked how many contractors she has talked to, so it may be more than 5.

So you are directly competing with 5 other companies. This wasnt the issue at the start of the leads coming in, but they recommend you email them back or call them back the quickest so you can talk to them first. So, 3 leads in, i gave 3 quotes and won a job..... Thinking this was good, i kept going along. then the blasts of leads started coming in at 7pm on friday, 8 pm on sunday night and at random times during the week, like i said i didnt want to happen. I specifically said that i wanted them sent to me at certain points of the day where i know i am at the office.

At this point, i wasnt overwhelemd with business, i was overwhelmed with keeping up with these damn leads, following up with people, and trying to contact people as i am getting these blasts of 5 leads at a time, trying to call them back in a timely manor to 'beat the other contractors' at the worst time of the day to reeive leads and be working

Next i found, the leads that i was receiving were 18 dollar's roughly per lead. Which is honestly way to much. They are making 100 dollars per lead that they get between the 5 companies they are "selling" the lead to.

After about 3 weeks of crappy leads for small 30 dollars one time mowing jobs, i said enough is a enough. I didnt sign up for these ads, i signed up for landscape jobs over 3,000 dollars, and mulch jobs. I called the homeadvisor customer service and explained all these leads i was getting that i didnt want or sign up for, and he apologized and was a very well manored gentelmen that knew how to talk. He assured me it wouldnt happen again and i said okay, ill give it another shot. After another week, i received 26 (15ish dollar leads) that were bogus. Half of these leads were people who wanted a price match or wanted a written quote from me for something they wanted their lawn guy to do for my price, to beat his price. And then the other half were lawn maintenance one timers.

I called back again and he credited my account, saying "we have a pretty good phone and online screening so people don't do this" i will talk to the people taking the jobs from consumers and credit your account 100 dollars.

So after about 50 leads, i landed about 10 jobs that were mostly low paying jobs just hoping they would lead into more work, but most of the time it was someone renting a property that was in need of some work that had a budget of a low income household. My biggest job was a $1200 dollar 8 yard mulch job that i had to talk to the customer for proably an hour each time. OVER A MULCH JOB!!!

This next part is what i was most suprized and mad about. I looked at my credit card statement at the end of the month. They ended up charging me a $400 dollar undisclosed fee for "signing up" with them, to be a contractor. And then they charged me over $450 dollars per week in leads that were losing money leads. How can someone afford to spend 15 dollars on a lead for a 30 dollar one time mowing???? It doesnt add up.

So i called and "canceled" which really meant suspending my account because you cant "cancel" your account within the first 6 months. Then i called the customer service guy i talked to before, furious. I was charged over $2200 dollars in one month for something that i signed up for, which i didnt want to go over $600 per month, or $150 per week.

I dont want this to happen to anyone else, and maybe i was a lemon customer, but i am not happy and will never use this service again. I can spend 2200 dollars on EDDM advertising and get 8500 post cards sent out and get about 150-200 calls from those post cards.

for 600 dollars it would have been a decent deal having to deal with all the calls, but for 2200, its not worth my time, money, or stress.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-15-2014, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

You can control everything online select what you want leads for how much you want to spend etc......to each his own I only spend 200 per month, and it by far pays for itself every month and for my membership fees 135 every three months....also if I get a request at 8 in the evening they get a call at 8 in the evening....that's when they are thinking about their project so that's when I talk to them about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by fannin76; 03-15-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannin76 View Post
You can control everything online select what you want leads for how much you want to spend etc......to each his own I only spend 200 per month, and it by far pays for itself every month and for my membership fees 135 every three months....also if I get a request at 8 in the evening they get a call at 8 in the evening....that's when they are thinking about their project so that's when I talk to them about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why not just get your own leads for yourself? They take advantage of you, at least that's my expirience. How long have you been with them? I just dont think it's ethical that they are making millions of dollars not actually doing any type of service besides giving leads. And giving that same lead to many different contractors to make money. It's unethical
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
Why not just get your own leads for yourself? They take advantage of you, at least that's my expirience. How long have you been with them? I just dont think it's ethical that they are making millions of dollars not actually doing any type of service besides giving leads. And giving that same lead to many different contractors to make money. It's unethical
Posted via Mobile Device
I've been with them 6 months. In my area it goes to 3 total contractors. You lead must have clicked it twice. Sure you have some bad apples as leads but most of the ones I receive are good. I made like 2000 extra bucks this year for snow removal because of them. Not everyone has a positive experience with them but I have. This is what I tell people spend 35 bucks on a one month membership and because they have a referral program tell them another home advisor customer had them sign up and they give you 100 bucks in free leads and just try it one month and if they don't like it don't pay for another month
Posted via Mobile Device