Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need Urgent Help! Exmark Lazer Z wont start

I am in need of some help ASAP on my Exmark Lazer Z. I was using the mower today, done about 4 yards. Pulled up to another yard and get out to start the mower and the mower will not turn over. Just clicks. I take the mower home and get out the jumper box and try starting it, which it does crank and start but will not stay running so than I was thinking it was the solenoid wire possibly breaking since it did once before and I soldered it back together. I tore it all apart to find nothing wrong.

Finally I broke down and bought a new solenoid but it is only a 3 terminal instead of 4. So I get that hooked up with the one wire being grounded instead of being hooked to the 4th terminal. I go to start the mower and of course nothing again. Just clicks.

I checked all the fuses. Even thought the PTO maybe was stuck but couldnt see how since I drove it onto trailer with blades off. So I get the jumper box back out and hook it up to the solenoid and the mower will crank over and will actually start but will only stay running when the seat is pressed down. As soon as I let go of the seat the mower dies and will not start again with the key. When I let go of the seat the brake is on.

So basically the mower runs when I jump it off the solenoid, but only stays running when the seat is pressed down even if the brake is on. The blades will turn on and everything works just like normal until I get up and than it dies even with the brake on and yes the PTO is disengaged.

Give me some advice here. I really need this running.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont get out of the seat?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The battery is not putting out enough power to run the machine. There is just enough power to run the solenoid, but not enough to turn the engine.

Battery is low
Batery is no good
alternator is bad
electrical connections are bad

The fact that you got through 4 yards and died out may point to the alternator not recharging the battery.

alternator is done
belt is loose
connections are dirty

How many hours so far this season?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Since it dies when you get off the seat, it sounds like one of the safety switches.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
Since it dies when you get off the seat, it sounds like one of the safety switches.
plus low battery

If it can't read the stick switch it thinks the sticks are in the operate position, the seat is empty and it shuts down. Low battery prevents a restart.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had this same exact problem this year. Check all the connections on the back panel where the pto switch is, key, all of them. Even if they are in, pull them out and clean them! I went through 2 solenoids and a starter before I even checked those and that did the trick.

-Rob
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
Dont get out of the seat?
Yea that would be nice if it worked that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather lawn sp View Post
The battery is not putting out enough power to run the machine. There is just enough power to run the solenoid, but not enough to turn the engine.

Battery is low
Batery is no good
alternator is bad
electrical connections are bad

The fact that you got through 4 yards and died out may point to the alternator not recharging the battery.

alternator is done
belt is loose
connections are dirty

How many hours so far this season?
Thanks for the info. I will check into the battery or swap it out. I know I checked the battery and it read 12.7 volts. But I will check it again. Yea I find it strange it was working just fine and than get to the other yard and it wont start. The motor is basically new. Pushing a bit over 300 hours on the motor. I started chasing wires and found the back wires running to the PTO were rubbing against the PTO belt and had basically wore the insulation off the wires so I thought maybe they were grounding out, I fixed all that and it did nothing for it.

I have probably put about 15 hours so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
I had this same exact problem this year. Check all the connections on the back panel where the pto switch is, key, all of them. Even if they are in, pull them out and clean them! I went through 2 solenoids and a starter before I even checked those and that did the trick.

-Rob
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea I have the panel off right now checking everything out. But I will clean everything up.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have any luck today?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Could be bad PTO switch

With the key in the "on" position and engine not running, when you engage the PTO switch you should be able to the clutch engage. If you don't the problem is most likely the PTO switch. FWIW