Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro Z Master doesn't start

I have a toro z master 52" cut with 23hp Kawasaki that seems locked up. I was mowing in some thick grass and mower bogged down so I pushed pto in and a few seconds later smoke and engine quit. It wouldn't start so I took it and washed it off and let sit over night . Tried starting and no power to switch so replaced fuses under seat and turned over but seemed to be flooded. Finally started and ran fine for 5 minutes and then I shut down with key ..... Thought it was fine , went back short time later and wouldn't start not even turn over. I pulled plugs and tried to rotate flywheel but wouldn't budge. Starter is fine and I have power at the switch , motor just seem stuck. I can rock the flywheel back and forth a little bit but it will not rotate. I can't understand why it ran so good and now doesn't even turn over. Any help will be greatly appreciated ........
Old 06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you even cked the oil?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2014, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I have it serviced regularly and check oil every time before I mow....
Old 06-19-2014, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a great answer. But have you checked it since this happened? Color, smell, debris?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Blankenship View Post
I have a toro z master 52" cut with 23hp Kawasaki that seems locked up. I was mowing in some thick grass and mower bogged down so I pushed pto in and a few seconds later smoke and engine quit. It wouldn't start so I took it and washed it off and let sit over night . Tried starting and no power to switch so replaced fuses under seat and turned over but seemed to be flooded. Finally started and ran fine for 5 minutes and then I shut down with key ..... Thought it was fine , went back short time later and wouldn't start not even turn over. I pulled plugs and tried to rotate flywheel but wouldn't budge. Starter is fine and I have power at the switch , motor just seem stuck. I can rock the flywheel back and forth a little bit but it will not rotate. I can't understand why it ran so good and now doesn't even turn over. Any help will be greatly appreciated ........
I do not work on Toro equipment, but the same would apply to any brand with an electric clutch...

Remove the electric clutch and even the drive (hydro) belt if it is easy at the same time, now you should probably have a bare crankshaft at this point... Start the engine and see how it goes!

If engine starts then it sounds like you likely have a clutch bearing failure. You should be able to see/spin both the upper and lower bearings in the clutch once removed from the crankshaft.

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd concur that the problem doesn't sound like engine seizure.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

YEP ... a locked up clutch will stop it from turning over.