Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-25-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

single axle trailer or dual axle??

I can't decide if I want a 6x12 single axle or a 7x14 dual axle...I don't really neeeeeeed the big one but I want the big one but I do want the high mesh sides on either for mulch...the 7x14 is over 1000$$ more. what are some peoples opinions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are not talking a huge step up in size with the 7x14, so I would lean that route. Two things to think about 1) You are going to probably get snagged by DOT regs on that dual axle with a half ton, so if that is a concern go with the single axle, and 2) The dual axle will chew up tires WAY faster than the single. You'll be putting 500 worth of tires on it every other season or so, whereas the single with a good set of radials will run for 5+ years.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-25-2014, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
You are not talking a huge step up in size with the 7x14, so I would lean that route. Two things to think about 1) You are going to probably get snagged by DOT regs on that dual axle with a half ton, so if that is a concern go with the single axle, and 2) The dual axle will chew up tires WAY faster than the single. You'll be putting 500 worth of tires on it every other season or so, whereas the single with a good set of radials will run for 5+ years.
My truck is 3/4 ton. The dual axle isn't in my budget but I could swing it if I really wanted too and have the trailer I want. Its $1500 for 6x12 with 2ft mess sides or $2000 for 7x14 tandum with regular sides or $2760 for 7x16 tandum with 2ft mess sides.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm trailer now is 5x8 with 2ft mesh sides and 13 inch tires. Its a tilt trailer I hate it but its made the money. I think its time to upgrade!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
What kind of dot regulations would you run into with a half ton pickup and a dual axle trailer?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer a dual axle trailer. It's more stable.
I also think that with a single axle trailer... You look more like you lost your day job. Bigger trailer you look like you mean business. A large enclosed trailer... You look like you're in BUSINESS.

I saw three grown men cutting down some big tree last week. 5x10 single axle trailer... Stacking brush on it.....
Old 11-25-2014, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I recently upgraded from a 6x12 single axle to a 7x14 dual axle and it's the best decision I ever made. I got the trailer made from 2" tubing instead of the angle iron like the triple crown trailers are made of. I also got the two foot mesh sides. Getting the dual axle combined with the high mesh sides will add so much more versatility and value to your trailer. You can stack bags of mulch, sod, and generally everything else much higher and more securely with the two foot mesh sides. If you plan to expand your business you will want to get the dual axle. I had to go from hauling one mower to two and you definitely need two axles at that point. All around I can say it is a good idea to go ahead and upgrade now if you are at the point anyways. Here is a pic of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-11-25-12-52-07.jpg (44.5 KB, 192 views)
Old 11-25-2014, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosleyYardMaintenance View Post
I recently upgraded from a 6x12 single axle to a 7x14 dual axle and it's the best decision I ever made. I got the trailer made from 2" tubing instead of the angle iron like the triple crown trailers are made of. I also got the two foot mesh sides. Getting the dual axle combined with the high mesh sides will add so much more versatility and value to your trailer. You can stack bags of mulch, sod, and generally everything else much higher and more securely with the two foot mesh sides. If you plan to expand your business you will want to get the dual axle. I had to go from hauling one mower to two and you definitely need two axles at that point. All around I can say it is a good idea to go ahead and upgrade now if you are at the point anyways. Here is a pic of mine.
That exacally what I want
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2014, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get what you can grow in to. I got a 5x12, wish i had gotten at least a 6'x16 half the time. I would say go with the biggest trailer you can afford.

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFm...MwXFuPEoNTyvyg

2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2004 Chevy 2500HD
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Stihl BR550
Old 11-25-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosleyYardMaintenance View Post
Mind telling me what trimmer rack you have ?
Stihl FS130R Trimmer
Stihl FS100RX Trimmer
Stihl BR430 Back Pack Blower