Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The JD's are excellent machines like I said. I just hate the company anymore.

If at all possible, I recommend demo'ing anything before buying, on the property it will be used on. If that is out, it would be between the Gravely and the JD for me. The only Scag that fits me great is the TT, which is a great machine (and I came within a few minutes of buying one when Ii bought my Z950).

Dealer support is very important too. You get more base options with the Gravely, but either will make you very happy. I still put the 7 Iron slightly ahead of the Gravel deck in wet conditions, but it isn't by much.

I can give my opinion based off experience, but I would hate for anyone to buy a new mower based solely off what I post here. Please try to demo them both, and during the spring rush growth timeframe if possible.
Thank you very much for the feedback, I appreciate it.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Not here. The base machines are very closely priced. Baggers are a big extra for either.
But they will give you 20% off. Unless they changed that which sounds like they did lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck on whatever you buy. A new mower is a lot of fun, especially if you get the one that suits you most/best. Come back and let us know......with a lot of good clear pics.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
But they will give you 20% off. Unless they changed that which sounds like they did lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Gravely does seem a lot better about fleet pricing than JDas far as single buys at a time, but here, it is all in when you catch either dealership at the right time.
JD does have its Green Fleet program in place, and has some good deals, but I am not sure what the arrangement is on that.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you ever decide on a mower OP? I'm LOVING my new John Deere 920M!! Just cut a yard today that was way overgrown...would have taken me the entire day to do it with any of my equipment over the last three seasons. Took a bit over an hour and looked good when I was done!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperscrow View Post
Did you ever decide on a mower OP? I'm LOVING my new John Deere 920M!! Just cut a yard today that was way overgrown...would have taken me the entire day to do it with any of my equipment over the last three seasons. Took a bit over an hour and looked good when I was done!
Do you have any pics?

Drove the scag tigercat and can't make my mind up between the scag tigercat or the John deere z920m right now!!
UGH
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

For a rookie making such a big purchase this is difficult as I want to be sure I pull the trigger on the right machine.......

Any other options regarding scag tiger cat or john deere z920m?

Thank you all and yes I will post pics on I buy.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

At the price point that you are looking, no one is making junk. I have used and/or demoed almost everything that you can imagine. That being said, not all dealerships are equal, even among the same manufacturer. Research dealer satisfaction/dissatisfaction, and put that at the very top of your list of criteria when selecting. I have an AWESOME Gravely dealer in my area, with unreal support from Gravely. A great machine isn't that great without support, and an OK machine becomes superb with great support.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scag2015 View Post
And ridin' green, take my input for what it's worth, hope you choose the right thing for you. Good luck and I hope whatever you get serves you well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't misunderstand my young friend. I am very glad you are trying to learn the ropes, and get some business experience while you're still in school. It's just that you can't make blanket statements like you have about Scag being the best without having real world experience on any/all of the machines mentioned herein. I like Scag products very much, especially the TT, but there are a ton of nice machines out there today that do equal, if not better work.

Just and FYI- I have all sorts equipment. Something for any and all services I do. Back up stuff to go with it. It all serves me very nicely since I buy good equipment to start with, based on many, many years of experience with it in this and a couple other industries.

With good work ethics and some self control regarding financial dealings, you'll get there in time too.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am Ridin' Green. In more than one manner too. Green grass and this-
Attached Images