Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Need some help to bid couple fast food restaurants

I just got a call for a guy that's the manager of a fast food restaurant asking for a lawn mowing quote. But honestly l don't have many experience to bid commercial accounts, is there anybody that can help me and give me advice. what's the best way to handle those accounts??? Any advice l will appreciate it,,
Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

same as residential, just need to factor in blowing off the lot(s). Just because it's commercial doesn't mean $$$. I've saw McDonald's lots go for $40 per cut/blow.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

$ 40 dollars for mowing * trimming * blowing * and curb edging???
Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't touch a mc Donald's for 40 a cut
Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an abandoned Dairy Queen and two other lots that are $40/cut EOW. As someone before me said, just factor it like a residential (estimated time on site x standard hourly rate), factor in a little extra time for picking up all the litter out of the grass first, and be sure that your insurance is sufficient to meet their requirements.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

we just figure how many people are needed for the site then how long it will take. we charge 60/hour/man. so a job site with 2 mowers and two trimmers which would take an hour total would cost 240 per cut. I wouldnt base your hourly wage off mine. you gotta figure your own numbers out for insurance, gas, wear and tear on trucks and equipment etc...
Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have any mcdonalds, but I do have all the Dairy Queens, Arby's and Burger Kings within 100 miles.

We don't make much money off the summer maintenance, snow plowing is the money mill there. (and it's a pain in the AZZ!)

There's actually one McD's where the grass is kinda nice, I wish I had that one.

There is ALWAYS tons of of trash, not just from the restaurant, but the road as well. Fast Food joints don't locate in out of the way places, always along busy routes, with guarantee stupid amounts of trash.

One of the Arby's we have has drug needles in the lawn every spring… not just one or two mind you.

Our spring clean up on that place (which had a bostons and a GCI in the same lot, we have them all) was over two days long…on going, so much goop it took a bobcat to load goop into trucks.

IF people think apartment buildings are bad… Fast food joints

Seriously, unless you are set up to service something like this, and have a lot of experience with it, and there is a hidden Gem somewhere (like we make a lot of money from their snow)
let someone else do it.

It's just a tiny piece of landscape full of trash, cigarette butts, seagulls and ruined hopes and dreams.

You're better off in someone else's little lawn with a white picket fence.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melver78 View Post
$ 40 dollars for mowing * trimming * blowing * and curb edging???
depending on the amount of grass/edging.... yes. We don't have any, but at probably 8/10 fast food restaurants around here there's not enough grass to use anything but a 21" on in between the curbs/berms that are on each side, maybe on the back. 2 guys could easily be in and out in 30 minutes. At least that's around here.

Fast food places around here could really careless about their landscape aesthetics. The only "restaurants" with much landscaping at all are the ones like Bob Evans, Applebee's, Outback, etc...
Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

There is couple of them that have lot of bushes and shrubs. trimming bushes and shrubs its an extra charge??
Old 03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

There are a few around me that are $40 a cut. Not worth it IMHO (unless like someone said you have another contract with them and this is just to satisfy that conctract)