Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #91  
Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
They've created a job for themselves. Good for them. There aren't any good jobs to be had any more with just a high school diploma and not every one is cut out for higher educations. In fact, in more cases than not, it's a waste of money.
How so?

Read the threads about guys trying to find quality employees. What jobs are out there with just a high school diploma?

GREEN INDUSTRY jobs, it's funny how if they work for a company for $10-$15 an hour it isn't enough to make ends meet. On the flip side they buy a mower and start mowing lawns for the same or less pay rate and that's commendable?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM
CreativeLawncareSolutions's Avatar
CreativeLawncareSolutions CreativeLawncareSolutions is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
How so?

Read the threads about guys trying to find quality employees. What jobs are out there with just a high school diploma?

GREEN INDUSTRY jobs, it's funny how if they work for a company for $10-$15 an hour it isn't enough to make ends meet. On the flip side they buy a mower and start mowing lawns for the same or less pay rate and that's commendable?
Who's working for themselves for $10-$15 an hour? If they are that's just stupid.

I was saying there are plenty of solo guys who ARE legit and who ARE making $30-40 an hour AFTER their expenses. They've created a great job for themselves.

It's what I've done. I'm not out to be the next Brickman. I just want to work alone and be paid a living wage. I like quitting at noon or 1. I don't like workplace drama. I don't like answering to anyone. And so on and so on.
__________________


F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM
shane-pa shane-pa is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: emporium, pa
Posts: 191
Quote:
They've created a job for themselves. Good for them
You are right. I would rather them do this than be on welfare. But, with a job you should have to pay taxes and they don't. This is the part that irks me.

Quote:
GREEN INDUSTRY jobs, it's funny how if they work for a company for $10-$15 an hour it isn't enough to make ends meet. On the flip side they buy a mower and start mowing lawns for the same or less pay rate and that's commendable?
couldn't agree more
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:14 AM
CreativeLawncareSolutions's Avatar
CreativeLawncareSolutions CreativeLawncareSolutions is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane-pa View Post
You are right. I would rather them do this than be on welfare. But, with a job you should have to pay taxes and they don't. This is the part that irks me.



couldn't agree more
What can you do?

I've said this many times on this site before and I'll say it again....There's MORE THAN ENOUGH work for everybody.
__________________


F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 AM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Who's working for themselves for $10-$15 an hour? If they are that's just stupid.

I was saying there are plenty of solo guys who ARE legit and who ARE making $30-40 an hour AFTER their expenses. They've created a great job for themselves.
Go on CL, the Spring wave is on with guys advertising labor rates of $20 PMH for lawn/landscaping work

I agree with the second part completely but I don't think those are the people any of us are referring to as "lowballers."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 685
Reading the responses reminds me of last year when I saw one "go out of business"

I was doing a regular route and often pass this guy. He had a truck and trailer, and some old beat up ztr. In the truck were 2 spanish guys. Someone crashed into them, wrecking the trailer and mower, also messed up the truck a little. The driver was on the side of the road throwing a fit like a little kid. I drove by laughing. Never saw him again.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM
CreativeLawncareSolutions's Avatar
CreativeLawncareSolutions CreativeLawncareSolutions is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Go on CL, the Spring wave is on with guys advertising labor rates of $20 PMH for lawn/landscaping work

I agree with the second part completely but I don't think those are the people any of us are referring to as "lowballers."
Well, I guess if they're working for themselves at 10 an hour they're not smart enough to read the CL classified. Or, maybe, they just like to mow drunk.
__________________


F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 AM
shane-pa shane-pa is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: emporium, pa
Posts: 191
Quote:
What can you do?

I've said this many times on this site before and I'll say it again....There's MORE THAN ENOUGH work for everybody.
Nothing. That's why I said "I do my work and they do their work."

It goes back to the original question of how to deal with them. I can't turn these guys in to anyone for not paying taxes. He mows grass for the borough manager who is in charge of collecting the local income tax.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:43 AM
RedDuty's Avatar
RedDuty RedDuty is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 558
Wow. After reading the whole thread my mind some what hurts.
To the 17 year old grossing 100k, congrats. You must be rolling. My only question, is the fact that you're 17, you legally cannot sign any binding contract. Insurance, articles or organization, etc. So many legal aspects to running a business that you cannot legally do ON YOUR OWN. So, there has to be help there. Also, you must have an extensive presence in the community to generate the amount of work. Also, please don't say you work harder than anyone else. Because unfortunately you don't. There is always going to be someone better than you. Smarter, more successful. Stay humble, no matter what. There are people on this great site that could probably teach you a thing or 2.

Back on the subject of "lowballers", let them roll down the road. They come and go just as fast as the leaves turn.
__________________
Just building piece by piece
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-18-2014, 03:17 PM
BossPlowMaster BossPlowMaster is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oshkosh WI
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchannaultROLC View Post
Wow. After reading the whole thread my mind some what hurts.
To the 17 year old grossing 100k, congrats. You must be rolling. My only question, is the fact that you're 17, you legally cannot sign any binding contract. Insurance, articles or organization, etc. So many legal aspects to running a business that you cannot legally do ON YOUR OWN. So, there has to be help there. Also, you must have an extensive presence in the community to generate the amount of work. Also, please don't say you work harder than anyone else. Because unfortunately you don't. There is always going to be someone better than you. Smarter, more successful. Stay humble, no matter what. There are people on this great site that could probably teach you a thing or 2.

Back on the subject of "lowballers", let them roll down the road. They come and go just as fast as the leaves turn.
Thanks! And belive me im trying to learn....thats why I study lawnsite like a Bible.
__________________
2014 JD 636M QuikTrak 36"deck+bagger
2014 JD 648R QuikTrak 48"deck+bagger
2014 JD X758 47"blower+hard cab(62"deck with powerflow bagger coming soon)
2014 2 Stihl Trimmers
2014 1 Stihl Backpack Blowers
*On call Bobcat 763 Skid Loader
*On call International 5 yrd. dump
2014 8'x20' Enclosed
2000 8'x12' Utility
2013 7.5'x16' Dump
2014 7'x16' Flatbed
1991 Chevy 2500 Reg Cab LB
2006 Ford F350 Reg Cab LB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.08075 seconds with 8 queries