Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

6.0 PSD troubles

I have an 04, had everything that should go wrong with it, go wrong. I agree the silicone boots could be what you are hearing. RiffRaffDiesel was the best price and quality for the boots. A tuner would be a great investment, as long as it has diagnostics. I have the Hyperpac from HyperTech, it improves performance, fuel economy, monitors much more than the gauges and tells you when the dealer is ripping you off. Plan on a front end, turbo, egr cooler, oil cooler, egr valve (at least cleaning it), some injectors, fuel pump blue spring kit & FICM power supply, beside the regular maintenance. Oil changes & fuel filter changes are a must, I use Schaeffer's 700 15W40 and it makes a difference. The engine had no sludge when the egr cooler & oil cooler were replaced at 129K. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

just got thru putting one back together got almost 2qt of coolant out of the turbo from a bad egr cooler.the tuner is a good idea just don't turn it to high u will be doing head gaskets and bolts and coolant res tank rad and mabe alittle more.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like the variable vanes in the turbo are sticking. There is a video on u tube that shows how to try and fix by cleaning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2014, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

weather is getting warmer guess im gonna have to tinker around with it
Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by action1 View Post
Sounds like the variable vanes in the turbo are sticking. There is a video on u tube that shows how to try and fix by cleaning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dido. I'm surprised no one else said that. Also with that I would be extremely careful until its fixed because if you are not getting enough air that means your exhaust temp is really hot and you could warp a head and blow a gasket. carbon can gum up your veins. The 6.0 is made to get on it to blow all the crap out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device