Register free!

Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Best time to put Scott's turf builder down in louisville,ky

I want thicker grass. The house I just moved in to to looks like the let the yard go. We raked up all the leaves that have layed there for no telling how long in the back yard. We have a lot of bare spots in the yard. I was thinking about putting seed down on the bare spots and covering with straw. We have a tree we the grass is really thin under it were it doesn't get a lot of sun light. Was going to put turf builder in the front, and put seed on the bare spots and thin spots. Any tips would be great. Thanks Rick
Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fix the cause of the problems. Grass will not grow in heavy shade. Seed if you want--BUT--realistically you will want eventually to fill in the heavy shade areas with shredded bark--or perhaps a ground cover like myrtle, pachysandra, ivy or a local favorite which is suited to your climate.

Its OK to fertilize now--if the soil is not frozen. However if the lawn is Bermuda grass or Zoysia it cannot really use the fertilizer until it begins to green up--probably about the first day the temp hits 80.

Do you mean Turfbuilder fertilizer? With Halts crabgrass control? With weed control? No weed or crab control on new seed--use starter fertilizer.
Its Ok to sow seed now when it is still cold. Fall is better, spring is OK. Seed needs a few days of 60 degrees before it comes up--so seed will be a bit slow until the soil temps warm up. Be sure to keep it moist. Be sure to use top-quality seed. You are probably in Tall fescue country--if your temps often go above 90 degrees, avoid perennial ryegrass. Even a small percentage in the mixture will crowd out the fescue at first--AND--then die out from disease when them temps go above 90.

In a test this week, I found that pre-soaked seed germinated to about a quarter inch high after 4 days. It was indoors at 69 degrees.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-24-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes turf builder fertilizer. Thanks for the help