Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-13-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Which Truck??

#1:http://warrentonselect.everycaronthe...HK23618F109102

#2: http://warrentonselect.everycaronthe...T2CL6BG599713?

#3: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...364153636.html

I plan to use this truck as a personal truck as well as a work truck. I will put a snow plow on it and will use it for mowing and landscaping in the summer.

Which truck will give me the best bang for my buck so to speak?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

40k on a work truck? Wow.

I'd look for a 10 year old truck. You can find great deals right now on trucks with the plows included.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many other trucks in the fleet and what will be this trucks role?

I'm not big on loaded work trucks, maybe when I'm older. I'm happy just to have power Windows and mirrors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd go with the Duramax. It's the best bang for the buck. I'd never buy a work truck with fabric seats, either leather or vinyl. I'd prefer not to have carpet though either, but since it's a personal truck as well you'll want all the bells & whistles. Since the Duramax doesn't have the 2011+ frame with 6k front axle, you'll need to beef it up a little to hold up to long term plow duty.

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
40k on a work truck? Wow.

I'd look for a 10 year old truck. You can find great deals right now on trucks with the plows included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
How many other trucks in the fleet and what will be this trucks role?

I'm not big on loaded work trucks, maybe when I'm older. I'm happy just to have power Windows and mirrors.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto and Ditto.....

Trucks are a horrible investment for what they do. I always feel better off buying a 15k truck, putting 2k into it, and then beating it to death rather than buying a 35k truck that will get beat to death.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take the extra 10k saved and put into retirement, your kid's college education, emergency fund, etc....

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aren't you like 13? And like two weekly accounts? I dont mean to bash you by any means, but if I was you i would focus on getting good equipment now so when you really need a truck you will have everything else already. Also, only get a diesel if you really need it, any more gas seems to be the way to go unless your pulling a lot every day. With diesel your gonna be paying a lot more at the pump per gallon and if that Diesel engine isn't making up for it with good/ reasonable mpg's then your wasting a lot of money with a diesel when you could have gotten by with a gas. Also you have to pay for DEF, higher repair bills etc. but also they will last longer then a gasser but unless you plan on keeping a truck for 350,000+ its just not worth it IMO.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes mowing View Post
Aren't you like 13? And like two weekly accounts? I dont mean to bash you by any means, but if I was you i would focus on getting good equipment now so when you really need a truck you will have everything else already. Also, only get a diesel if you really need it, any more gas seems to be the way to go unless your pulling a lot every day. With diesel your gonna be paying a lot more at the pump per gallon and if that Diesel engine isn't making up for it with good/ reasonable mpg's then your wasting a lot of money with a diesel when you could have gotten by with a gas. Also you have to pay for DEF, higher repair bills etc. but also they will last longer then a gasser but unless you plan on keeping a truck for 350,000+ its just not worth it IMO.
I second this. No disrespect, but can you even drive yet? If this is completely off-base with your situation, then I am sorry. I have been shopping for a truck for 3 months. There are a ton on great craigslist ads that are decent trucks for less than half of what you are looking at now. 3/4 tons included.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes mowing View Post
I'd assume his dad is probably buying it for him. Like Schrock.

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-13-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that would make sense since they're like 40k trucks lol. I'll actually be 16 in May, just bought my first truck with my own money and am super happy with it.its an 03" ram 2500 hemi 4x4 with only 83,000 on it for less than half of those trucks