Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Victor Out o Sight Mole trap

"Don't follow the directions on the package. I will do my best to explain how to employ this product.

First of all, if you have to, stamp down all mole runs in your yard. Ordinarily, you don't want to do this, because it just encourages the mole to dig new runs, thus doing more damage. But you need a current picture of where the mole is active in your yard.

The next day after you have stamped down all the runs, observe any new runs. You are looking for long straight runs. Long straight runs are like mole highways. The curvy short runs are hunting roads. The curvy runs are less traveled. Hunt the highways.

Open the trap and set the safety catch. Set the trap down next to the run where you want to place it. Take your foot, and stamp down the mole run just where you want to place the trap. Should only be about your foot's width. Don't push down hard. You want the ground you stamp down to be level with the rest of the yard.

Now take a straight blade shovel and create a notch on either side where the trap blades will go. You don't have to go real deep. Just a couple inches. Wiggle the shovel if you have to, to create those "pockets" for the blades of the trap to go into.

Carefully place the trap into the notches or pockets you just created until the trigger of the trap is level to the ground." By
Geoffrey Klos
These traps are the best method I've ever found... period.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We do a mole service, almost exclusively. The juicy fruit gum bubble gum, cat hair, shards of glass, tacks, and car exhaust gizmos are all myths and gimmicks. The "Uncle Pete's pellets" type stuff are gimmicks, as well.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay so some of the things mentioned here are total b.s. However, there are a few truths. First as was mentioned, look for the highways, they are long and are typically traveled around every 4hrs. Second, earth worms are their main diet. Third, the type of trap used drastically improves your chance. Ever since I started using http://www.traplineproducts.com/ mole traps which are "in-ground" traps I have never left a clients home empty handed NEVER. If you can't seem to find the "highway" in the yard, try to look for runs along sidewalks and fence rows. That is the nice thing about in-ground traps, you can put them literally next to sidewalks that your typical trap won't allow you to do. Another important detail is to make sure there is NO light shining through after you put the trap down. Follow these tips and you'll get the mole(s).
Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What if you have a 2 acre lawn that is completely covered in mole runs going everywhere? I assume they are moles because some of the runs are almost tall enough to hit with mower blades set at 3". From what I understand voles wont leave a mound of dirt because they feed and make runs at the roots of grass near the top but moles will leave a mound the entire length of the run?

What does a person do for such an expensive infestation? They started last summer and have now covered the entire 2 acres. Buy about 10 packs of talpirid mole bait and shove them into random tunnels spread around the yard? How about poison peanuts?
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nash Choker Loop

I've caught several in my own yard with the Nash Choker Loop trap. The key is finding a traveling tunnel they use regularly and putting the trap on that run (not a curvy feeding tunnel they only use once to find some chow). The idea is, the loops are pushed just under or to the bottom of the tunnel. You press down on the tunnel where the trigger will be and set the trap. When the mole comes through and pushes up on the collapsed part of the tunnel which is directly below the trigger, they knock the trigger loose and up comes the loops, trapping the mole in one side or the other, depending on which direction they were heading. If it's a good tunnel (routinely used) and the soil is lose enough for the loops to spring up quickly, I get the darn things nearly every time. :-)

I've tried those stupid spike traps that send spikes into the ground when the trap is triggered and I've never had any luck with them. I've had great success with the nash choker loop.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
What if you have a 2 acre lawn that is completely covered in mole runs going everywhere? I assume they are moles because some of the runs are almost tall enough to hit with mower blades set at 3". From what I understand voles wont leave a mound of dirt because they feed and make runs at the roots of grass near the top but moles will leave a mound the entire length of the run?

What does a person do for such an expensive infestation? They started last summer and have now covered the entire 2 acres. Buy about 10 packs of talpirid mole bait and shove them into random tunnels spread around the yard? How about poison peanuts?
You will still need to look for those "highways" that have a bunch of little tree branch shaped tunnels spouting off of them. Heck if you need to, mow the yard and then roll it and come out the next day and you will probably have a lot more luck locating their main routes. Their main routes do not have to be perfectly straight, they will curve and zigzag from time to time but you will be able to see the longest tunnel if you look.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use repellex from Graingers. I do a program for moles where I apply in October. I apply heavy and make sure to get into all beds. Have been doing this for 4 years and it drives the moles away before winter sets in and makes for a good looking lawn come snow melt. The repellent makes the food taste bad for some time. A mole or two is not bad, good for aeration. Another note, after chasing or trapping away moles, voles love moving into abandoned mole tunnels to easily eat the yummy vegetation left behind. Voles love not having to dig their own tunnels!
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Moly moly moly! Lol. Sorry, I thought of Austin Powers when I saw this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I may have spoke too soon regarding moles. I just came back from one of my clients about holes in their lawn. I'm going to have to wait until I can get to a PC in order to upload pics that I took while I was there. I've never encountered this situation before however after googling pictures of mole infestations, the results I found online look strikingly similar to the pictures I took. I want to upload pics later so that maybe someone with experience with these critters can verify what I suspect. Since I have zero experience with them, I'm thinking about subbing it out rather than getting in over my head with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

You need to find someone with one of these (see video) http://www.rodenator.com/

I use the Talpirid Mole traps and have had good luck. http://www.amazon.com/Talpirid-34150.../dp/B0043FHXVM

Bryan

2009 Scag Wildcat
Echo trimmer