Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro Timecutter SS 5000

Can anybody tell me if this is a good ZTR mower for a one house (2 acre) residential? I've been mostly comparing the Exmark Quest E-series and the Hustler Raptor, but the Hustler dealer showed me the Toro and said that it has more or less the same components and engine as the Toro SS5000.

I've been previously set on getting a fabricated deck but after talking with the dealer and explaining that my 2 acres are more or less flat and manicured he has suggested that a fabbed deck might be overkill and that I'm putting too much stock into the fabbed deck for my application.

Also, it seems that the Toro has more options and accessories (hitch for example) than the Hustler.

I've been going back and forth for a month now and can't seem to pull the trigger on a mower. For the past month I've been set on getting a residential "commercial brand" mower but after seeing the Toro I think I might go with it (The dealer also said he would include the foot assist option for free). I really am looking for any advice good or bad about the Toro SS 5000 and if it compares with the Exmark Quest E series or the Hustler Raptor (non SD) from experienced operators/dealers/maintenance personnel.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What prior experience do you have in the acre plus / riding mower department?

Few other things...
A mower is either residential grade, or it's commercial grade.
I don't care what they try and hype, there is little difference between stamped and fabricated decks per se,
most of the difference is in the gauge or thickness of the steel.
A commercial grade mower generally sports a 7-gauge steel, which is about 1/4 inch thick.
That's why they cost so much, you pay for the steel.

There is no getting around it, residential grade mowers usually have closer to a 10-gauge steel in use.

But if you know your yard and keep your mower covered, a thinner steel deck can last 10-20 years just as well.
It's not all about the thickness of the steel, you still have engine and transmission and everything else, too.

Last edited by herler; 03-27-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

herler, thanks for the reply!

This will be my first time using a riding/ztr and I want to be sure that if I'm spending $3,000+ on a mower that it will be a good investment. I understand that there is a huge difference between commercial and residential but I was hoping to get first hand experience from people with knowledge of the Toro SS5000 versus the other models I'm considering (Exmark Quest and Hustler Raptor).

I can't really spend much more and considering I'll only be using it to cut my own lawn I don't want to break the bank on a mower. I'm more concerned with which residential ztr is the best bang for my buck. The reason I'm keeping it between Toro, Exmark, and Hustler is that these are the three brands offered by a couple of good dealers in my area (northwest of Detroit) as opposed to going to big box stores.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Sponsor

The Toro Timecutter SS5000 is one of the best selling ZTRs on our site, and consistently receives great reviews.

Read some reviews here:
http://www.mowersdirect.com/Toro-746...wer/p9943.html
Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Any other opinions on the Toro Timecutter SS5000?

Or does anybody think I'd be better off with the Hustler Raptor or Exmark?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

bumping this up to get more replies

Tags
exmark , hustler , ss5000 , timecutter , toro