Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fertilize After Scalping?

I know there are various opinions on scalping lawns in the Spring. However, some say it's good and some bad. Many say it's good for Zoysia and Baramuds to remove the brown straw looking grass from the winter dormancy. Anyway, last year I had a thatch problem and decided I'm going to try it this year and see how it goes. I didn't do a "true scalp" with a reel mower. However, I did take it down to 1" with a pair of sharp blades. I then laid a thin layer of compost. Seven days later, I have a whole yard of fresh shoots coming up. However, the growth is slow, in another week or two and all the brown straw colored grass from dormancy should be covered up. Many may argue the fact, but I can clearly see with my personal lawn how scalping would help against thatch build-up when the summer time hits. Aside from the arguments about scalping, my question revolves around fertilizing? Should I fertilize after the scalping? Or should I continue to wait it out until the First of April? I wanted to put down about .75 lbs. of Nitrogen around the week of Easter. Now after scalping, I'm really considering putting down just a .25 lb of Nitrogen now and .65 or .75N the week of Easter. Any ideas?