Register free!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Ball Moss and Kocide101

Anyone ever had to control Ball Moss on live oak trees? I did a google search and see where Kocide 101 is recommended. These trees are on top of a 6 foot berm that separates a spine road from the houses. The trees look weak and where the moss has completely covered the bark the trees are dying.
Just wondering if anyone had used this product before and what if any dangers there might be with it.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not familiar with that product but I also try not to use chemicals since they aren't necessary in a healthy forest.
It's a lot of work but hand removal is what I recommend. It's tedious work but it looks better than just spraying which doesn't remove the moss. If the sprayer is strong enough to remove moss, then it can damage the bark and young leaves and possibly open the tree to other infections.

Do you have climbers that need extra work? That's what we would do.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 12-14-2014, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I'm not familiar with that product but I also try not to use chemicals since they aren't necessary in a healthy forest.
It's a lot of work but hand removal is what I recommend. It's tedious work but it looks better than just spraying which doesn't remove the moss. If the sprayer is strong enough to remove moss, then it can damage the bark and young leaves and possibly open the tree to other infections.

Do you have climbers that need extra work? That's what we would do.

The Method I have found is first, Hand removing as much Moss as you can reach. Then spraying with Copper Sulfate (Kocide 101) which carries a Danger label. Copper Sulfate can cause non-reversal eye damage. So don't just wear safety glasses, use something like swim Goggles. I also use a disposable coveralls and wash any exposed areas, face etc with lots of fresh water. You don't want to finish and then touch something and then rub your eyes.

Spanish moss is in the bromeliads family or is a air breathing plant. Spraying with Copper Sulfate act as Heavy Metal poisoning. But it takes several weeks if not a few months to fully fall off the tree. It must first die and then rot off the tree. As a general rule only one treatment per year is needed and many people will not wait for the first treatment to work. Re-infestation is not uncommon. Location and closeness to other trees with Spanish Moss will effect re-infestation.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.