Register free!

Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Issues with arborvitaes that have been in ground 10 months.

I'm in Birmingham, AL. I planted 10 or so Emeral arborvitae for a customer last fall. They've done well except for two. My customer said that the plants turned brown in sections and then eventually the entire plant died. I have a suspicion that the problem is that they got dry, especially with my phone call coming at the end of our most prolonged drought this Summer, but I don't want to rule out that something else is going on. I'm including pictures. The plants were 5'-6' B&B. They were planted in well drained soil and the top of the burlap was peeled back and trimmed off so there would be no wicking. The plants were installed at a slightly shallow depth and mulched with pinestraw. The guy has irrigation but the two plants that are affected get the least amount of irrigation.
Side note- Emerald arborvitae are used a good bit in this area with a very good success rate. I've got several plantings of arborvitae in the area and the plantings where irrigation was used most appropriately resulted in a softer, lusher foliage than what I see on these particular plants (perhaps another indication of inadequate watering). I haven't checked the irrigation system, yet, to see how he's watering, but I will.
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/ma...0Issues?sort=3
Thanks for any opinions you may have.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromearth View Post
I'm in Birmingham, AL. I planted 10 or so Emeral arborvitae for a customer last fall. They've done well except for two. My customer said that the plants turned brown in sections and then eventually the entire plant died. I have a suspicion that the problem is that they got dry, especially with my phone call coming at the end of our most prolonged drought this Summer, but I don't want to rule out that something else is going on. I'm including pictures. The plants were 5'-6' B&B. They were planted in well drained soil and the top of the burlap was peeled back and trimmed off so there would be no wicking. The plants were installed at a slightly shallow depth and mulched with pinestraw. The guy has irrigation but the two plants that are affected get the least amount of irrigation.
Side note- Emerald arborvitae are used a good bit in this area with a very good success rate. I've got several plantings of arborvitae in the area and the plantings where irrigation was used most appropriately resulted in a softer, lusher foliage than what I see on these particular plants (perhaps another indication of inadequate watering). I haven't checked the irrigation system, yet, to see how he's watering, but I will.
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/ma...0Issues?sort=3
Thanks for any opinions you may have.
No idea why it's dying like that. I doubt that one will recover. Hopefully you have a year guarantee and can get a replacement. I have the Green Giants and have a 7' one that's bronzing on the outer fans but, green underneath and only on the Southside of the tree! All 12 others are green and lush!

I had 2 smaller 5' GG's that died I think due to something in the soil. Planted 9' apart too. replanted magnolias in their place with different soil and they died too! Imagine that! The dead trees I can take back to Home Depot and get new ones as soon as they come in to the store this Jan.