Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Nothing will set you apart from your competition like a 35yr old WB will.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdreibels View Post
Nothing will set you apart from your competition like a 35yr old WB will.
Posted via Mobile Device
Make fun of it all you want, it was never commercial and rarely used but always maintained (and you can tell!). It runs good, cuts good, and looks just as presentable as any other mower with more than one season on it. What's wrong with that?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Its cool man, just messin around. I'm bored cuz there's no grass to mow yet! As long as you're bringin home the bacon that's what counts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdreibels View Post
Its cool man, just messin around. I'm bored cuz there's no grass to mow yet! As long as you're bringin home the bacon that's what counts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha I feel it. It almost felt like spring this morning, then it snowed like 3" before noon. Now the snow is all melted and its 40. This weather man
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymowlawncare View Post
Hi guys,

I am starting a lawn care company. At first it will be residential mowing. One of my many goals is to bid commercial contracts next year. This is a part time job now but will hopefully turn into a full blown operation in the years to come. I have a full time job and can fully support myself and family without tapping into the revenues that the business brings in, which allows me to reinvest in marketing. I have bought a 6x12 trailer and next is the equipment. I like to buy heavy duty commercial equipment. I am looking at the Exmark Lazer z 52 inch with the RED Kohler EFi engine. The offer is you get a free 30in commercial for "free". I am buying this on the 48 month 0% interest offer (rather use someone else's money). I also looked at Scag but the dealer is about 30 mins away and not in my initial service area. The Exmark dealer is about 10 miles away. Is this offer a good deal? I got a quote for a Turftiger and it was a few thousand less than the Lazer. Would you buy the Lazer and take the 30in commercial or the Turftiger and just buy a smaller commercial mower? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would never buy a boat load of new equipment if I had zero accounts. You would be better off buying used on Craigslist. Also make sure you're fully licensed and insured before taking on any clients!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks!! I sure will. I will be getting them next week. Now just trying to see if open or closed trailer. I can get a storage unit for $128 a month about 2 miles from my house to store the trailer as in my subdivision it is not allowed. I'm leaning more towards the open trailer as a 6x12 will fit in my garage. I will have to buy the locking storage racks for the trimmers, blowers, and edgers.
If you are considering a trailer I would consider a enclosed one. Instant roof over your equipment in the event of sudden downpours while you're working or driving to the next job etc. just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
I would never buy a boat load of new equipment if I had zero accounts. You would be better off buying used on Craigslist. Also make sure you're fully licensed and insured before taking on any clients!
Posted via Mobile Device
I am now licensed and insured. Like I said, even if I had to make the payments on the equipment, it would be no sweat of my back. I rather buy new with warranty than to have to deal with maintenance issues.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
If you are considering a trailer I would consider a enclosed one. Instant roof over your equipment in the event of sudden downpours while you're working or driving to the next job etc. just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did consider it, but the problem with an enclosed trailer is that my HOA won't allow it to be kept in the driveway. It is too high to fit in a garage. At least with the open trailer I can store it inside my garage with all the equipment.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok. Got the equipment and just waiting for the website to be finished. Also going to have about 500 door hangers made and distributed along my intended service area. I will be offering weekly and bi-weekly service. My schedule at work has me anywhere from 12-14 days off at home. These are usually in between 5-6 day long trips. My questions is: how would you go about scheduling a weekly customer? Do you guys mow the same day each week? I'm thinking bi-weeklys would probably be easier. Do you guys float the days you service each customer? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Ok. Got the equipment and just waiting for the website to be finished. Also going to have about 500 door hangers made and distributed along my intended service area. I will be offering weekly and bi-weekly service. My schedule at work has me anywhere from 12-14 days off at home. These are usually in between 5-6 day long trips. My questions is: how would you go about scheduling a weekly customer? Do you guys mow the same day each week? I'm thinking bi-weeklys would probably be easier. Do you guys float the days you service each customer? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Gonna need a lot more than 500 door hangers. More in the neighborhood of several thousand.

On scheduling I try to avoid bi-weekly clients as much as possible. I schedule them for the same day each week, and have makeup day or two set aside just in case of inclement weather.