Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pickup Truck OR Landscape Dump

Hey guys,
Just weighing out the pros and cons of each style of truck.
This is for a mixed business model of 35% lawn mowing and 65% landscaping.

Pickup

Pros:
Cheaper
More reliable (ford motor problems)

Cons:
Need trailer to haul debris
Space issue in fall cleanup time when hauling leaves and mowing.

Landscape dump

Pros:
Haul materials in truck and have a trailer with equipment

Cons:
More expensive
Quality issues

Thanks for any help.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy to grow into. You will/should out grow a pick up quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a dump truck. If you do not want a dump truck go with a nice 6x14 dump trailer for leaves and landscaping.

GMC
John Deere
Wright
Toro
Echo
Old 11-03-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey thanks guys. I considered a dump truck for sometime, but i appreciate the reliability of my Toyota tundra vs fords trucks. Also i am not doing a lot of materials and hauling heavy stuff. The yards around here are small. Every year around this time i start considering my options when my trailer is filled half way with leaves and pushing my mowers into them... mess. Its only a 6x10 dump trailer. And a little in the spring. The issue is with the empty weight of a 14' dump trailer is over 4k. i rarely load it to the 7k capacity of my truck. The new tundra has 10k tow capacity, so i would be fine with that. Trailer is the tough part. Considering just normal landscaping open trailer 6X14 10k with 6' high sides. It would be funny though throwing stuff at the dump.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 11-03-2014, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Hey thanks guys. I considered a dump truck for sometime, but i appreciate the reliability of my Toyota tundra vs fords trucks. Also i am not doing a lot of materials and hauling heavy stuff. The yards around here are small. Every year around this time i start considering my options when my trailer is filled half way with leaves and pushing my mowers into them... mess. And a little in the spring. The issue is with the empty weight of a 14' dump trailer is over 4k. i rarely load it to the 7k capacity of my truck. The new tundra has 10k tow capacity, so i would be fine with that. Trailer is the tough part. Considering just normal landscaping open trailer 6X14 10k with 6' high sides. It would be funny though throwing stuff at the dump.
How about a gas dump truck? Less cost and more reliable compared to new diesels. Gas mileage sucks but it's making you money.

GMC
John Deere
Wright
Toro
Echo
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

when i needed a second truck i was torn between another 2500hd pickup that would get an insert installed or a dump truck. i already have a 12ft dump trailer with tall sides but decided a dump truck would be better than adding another pickup. if i need to haul ALOT of stuff i bring the dump trailer but the dump truck alone works great for smaller stuff where a pickup wouldn't cut it and i don't quite need the dump trailer. plus when bagging here and there when out mowing, i tow the mowing trailer with the dump truck instead of the pickup so i can easily haul stuff. its a nice little setup here in the fall.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if money weren't an option I would get the bigger truck and an eclosed trailer as well as a mowing only truck. but I really don't want to spend a lot when I will be making similar amounts.
I also wouldn't install a 700lb dump insert on a 1 ton truck. Even for leaves, it wont hold that much.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dealership has had one of my ram 4500 dumps for nearly 2 weeks now for a silly bad nox sensor. They gave me a new f250. I am in a living hell. The cab is uncomfortable compared to what I am use too, both are crew cabs. The appearance is so sub standard for us. The performance is a joke this gas truck hates towing my trailer in the hilly world I live in. And its the end of mowing season so when I truly need 5-6 yards of space for leaves and grass I now have 1 1/2. And the ultimate insult I have to go to the dump site every day now and then use a pitch fork which takes about 30 mins more than just pushing my dump button.

If you can have only one truck it should be a dump truck in this trade.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 ton with a insert wouldn't be too bad but like I said even with smaller yards up there you will out grow it quick. I really have no idea how guys with crews do leaves and only have a insert with a box. My small yards still filled my insert up twice a clean up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Only 10% of my customers want their leaves hauled away
Posted via Mobile Device