Register free!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Teejet Gun is leaking, thoughts?

I bought a new teejet gun about a month ago and its already leaking behind the grey trigger somewhere. Any clue what that is? Has it ever happened to you?

I know chemlawns leak from the tip, this one seems to leak internally somewhere.

It has never seen anything higher than 140PSI and that was only for a second while calibrating, the gun says 200 PSI max. It leaks when I run it at 27-28PSI. It seems to leak regardless of whether the trigger is pulled or not.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with the Chemlawn Gun. I never had a problem with those.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take the 4 screws out and install a new stem. Rebuild kits come with a couple other pieces, but the stem is all we ever replace (the brown rubber tip gets a ring worn into it). Make sure the spring has enough tension too. Usually when we have to rebuild a TeeJet gun, the 4 screws are so corroded we can't unscrew them, so we just get a new gun.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Even for a brand new gun? The thing has hardly been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Take the 4 screws out and install a new stem. Rebuild kits come with a couple other pieces, but the stem is all we ever replace (the brown rubber tip gets a ring worn into it). Make sure the spring has enough tension too. Usually when we have to rebuild a TeeJet gun, the 4 screws are so corroded we can't unscrew them, so we just get a new gun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2015, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Ya, teejet is to cheap to put stainless screws in the gun so they rust and you can't get them out, making it a throwaway gun.

Terry
Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantausername View Post
I bought a new teejet gun about a month ago and its already leaking behind the grey trigger somewhere. Any clue what that is? Has it ever happened to you?

I know chemlawns leak from the tip, this one seems to leak internally somewhere.

It has never seen anything higher than 140PSI and that was only for a second while calibrating, the gun says 200 PSI max. It leaks when I run it at 27-28PSI. It seems to leak regardless of whether the trigger is pulled or not.
Sounds like it does need rebuilt.
Was it leaking before the spike in pressure? If not then it may have blown an o-ring in there.

Terry
Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I honestly don't remember. I just remember it leaking and me thinking it was from the hose, finally pinpointed it to the gun this afternoon. Would the o-ring be a hardware fix or do I still need the kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayboy View Post
Sounds like it does need rebuilt.
Was it leaking before the spike in pressure? If not then it may have blown an o-ring in there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantausername View Post
I honestly don't remember. I just remember it leaking and me thinking it was from the hose, finally pinpointed it to the gun this afternoon. Would the o-ring be a hardware fix or do I still need the kit?

Posted via Mobile Device
I've never tried a hardware store so I can't answer that. I do know the screws they use are special and I was never able to find them anywhere.

I use the chemlawn gun as it is a better gun, just the nozzles suck.

I tried the teejet gun last year for the first time in years and couldn't use it cause it likes to blast open when barely pulling the trigger. That doesn't happen with the chemlawn gun.

Terry
Old 03-29-2015, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see, I guess I'll call where I purchased it first thing AM and see what they say. I can't believe a 200PSI rated gun could mess up at 140, but I'm quickly seeing that anything could happen.

What blast are you talking about? I have it set at 27-28 PSI @ 2GPM and there is no blast at all. I am using 1/2 in hose though.. Heck even when it was at 140PSI for a second or two there was no blast, it opened up normal.

I tried the grey teejet nozzle but the pattern was whack to me, too wide, the yellow chemlawn gun works great so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayboy View Post
I've never tried a hardware store so I can't answer that. I do know the screws they use are special and I was never able to find them anywhere.

I use the chemlawn gun as it is a better gun, just the nozzles suck.

I tried the teejet gun last year for the first time in years and couldn't use it cause it likes to blast open when barely pulling the trigger. That doesn't happen with the chemlawn gun.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Justwanna,
Remember the space shuttle that blew up? Was it the Challanger?
It was in part due to o-rings that did not seal well between segments of the rocket during cold weather.

So maybe the O-rings in the gun do not seal well when the water is cold. Should be OK in warm weather.
Take it apart and drop by your hardware store and get new matching o-rings.
Now is a good time to clean off any residue, and grease or lubricate every moving part. Silicone grease was my favorite.

Ask the hardware store if they can find screws for it too. Sprayboy has experience; good advice.