Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Spraying Large Areas

Hi,

I recently took a contract to spray about 1,000,000 square feet of turf it's comprised of about 130 homes all in one neighborhood. This basically doubled my current fertilizer and pesticide applications. This contract calls for all liquid applications and I am exploring other options as far as equipment that I can use. Right now I use a 200 gallon skid sprayer. I have seen some of these ride on sprayers are they worth it? Do you they really speed things up? And most importantly are they accurate? Thanks for an input
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2015, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ride on definitely increase productivity and are accurate. The problem I see with it on this job is the lots sounds extremely small(7-8000 square ft). You might be able to get a zspray Jr in and out of the gates and around play equipment. I have a zmax and an atv with a 14 ft boom, but we still drag a lot of hose with teejet gun.

Nice snag a big contract. Why do they insist on all liquid?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What type of yards, do they have gates, are there any open areas, can you get water on site? I also have a Zmax and use it on every property I have from 2,000 to 100,000 it all depends on the lay out.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, the yards are mainly 7000-9500 Square Feet. It is a 65+ community so not many play sets or kids toys and only a couple of fences, everything is fairly open. Down side to all of it is no water on site (at least no water that I can use) all the water will have to come from my shop which is about 15 mins away.

With the Zmax or Zspray jr. will they adjust flow based on travel speed?

@Anotherokie - a few years ago they had a large landscape company doing all there work, the company convinced the board that liquid was the only way they should be doing things and it stuck now they only want liquid and I have yet to see another company including myself talk them into anything else
Old 03-30-2015, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

One other question..... How do you guys fill up your Zsprays/Zmax when your are out in the field. Do you guys mix every tank when you refill or do you pre mix everything in like a skid sprayer and just refill from there?

Again, thank you for the help.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinraptor View Post
One other question..... How do you guys fill up your Zsprays/Zmax when your are out in the field. Do you guys mix every tank when you refill or do you pre mix everything in like a skid sprayer and just refill from there?

If I'm by myself I'll use one the skids as a premixed nurse tank. If I have helpers with me, I usually mix by the tank. Sometimes I will pre mix multiple jugs and then I just fill sprayer with water and pour in contents of jug. On a couple jobs where water is not accessible or is super slow, I take a couple ibc totes with water and a trash pump to fill with as needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2015, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The speed - flow rate control is an option from lt rich on the zspray machines. I think it adds about $1500.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2015, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just make sure you don't buy a ride on for this one job. What if they get someone else next year?

Do you normally use all liquid? Are you familiar with it? Zsprays are low volume so if would take some tinkering or changing of nozzles to do liquid from what I'm told.

I do liquid weed control and granular fertilizer. I wouldn't take on a customer that required me to do something different. Just my opinion. If give them a price and what I would do, I'd show them references of my results and if they were dead set on liquids still they could find someone else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinraptor View Post

I use a nurse tank to fill my Z takes less then 5 min. I mix as I go only water in the nurse.
Question: why is the large company still not doing the property if they were so right about only liquid. You can do it with a Z but a liquid and granular combo has worked well for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon50EX View Post
What type of yards, do they have gates, are there any open areas, can you get water on site? I also have a Zmax and use it on every property I have from 2,000 to 100,000 it all depends on the lay out.
it all depends on the lay out and Water availability.

Doing Quick math there is approx 7.7 K of Turf for each house. Of course with Common areas I am sure there is less turf around each home.

IMHO Filling a Standard Ride on Sprayer to spray a million sq ft. would be a nightmare. There should be enough profit to afford a USED Golf Course sprayer that has Large tanks. Toro Makes a 150 gallon and a 300 gallon model as does Jacobs and a few more. Check Golf Course equipment sites as well as E bay where I have seen used equipment for sales. I picked up a 150 Gallon Toro for free but had to completely rebuild it. It cost me a little over $ 6 K to completely rebuild it but I now have a Machine that paid for it's self in less than a year.

BTW some of the Big Big Boys that do a lot of HOA also use Used Golf Course Sprayers. They even use them for spraying Trees and Shrubs with a Hand Gun.

I spray a 1,100,000 Sq Ft (25 Acres) Common Ground and vacant Lots for Fire Ants for one HOA. This is pretty Much Flat open area. There is water on site but it only flows at less than 10 GPM. Using a swimming pool fill timer I fill my skid spray tank while I am boom spraying. Refill on my 150 gallon ride on takes less than 5 minute using a 1.5 inch gasoline transfer pump. Time is money and while I take my time spraying I do my best to keep down time to a minimum. BTW Once I had a 150 gallon Ride on Fire Ant sprayer, New Markets opened up and I use it a lot. However I will agree Granular Fertilizer works better than liquid when using a standard Lawn ride on. I stay away from Liquid Fertilizer with my 150 ride on because of Corrosion. I am contend to do insecticide (Fire Ant) control only with my unit.

it is one thing to do a off label applications. It is total stupidity to post it on the world wide web and expect people to approve.

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

My People Skills are Fine. It is my Idiot Tolerance Skills That needs Work.