Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Recent Heavy rains and lawn application

Hello All!

I am a loooong time lurker here and this is my first post. I understand that this site caters to professionals and I want to be upfront by admitting that I do not do landscaping for a living (although I have in the past). In spite of this, I hope I am received without too much angst

Before I request advice, I would like to say how great of a site this is. It is my number one go to resource when it comes to lawncare. It is obvious that most of the information on here comes from professionals that know what they are doing.

Sooo... last friday I applied fertilizer w dimension to my yard (lesco brand 18-0-10 w/ 6% slow release). I'm here in st pete and as you all know, this monday we got hammered with rain. I got 3" over the course of a day. At one point, I'll bet an inch of it came down in 30 min.

As I sat and watched, I worried. Was my application all for not? What would you guys do if this was your personal yard? What I am thinking is that maybe in two or three weeks I will put down another application of pre-emergent and maybe another fert application next month with more slow release than solubable N. Or am I pushing it?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No problem with the application. Should be fine. No need to reapply soon. Germination had begun before your application so you might find some escapees later but it will not mean your application was unsecusfull. All seeds do not germinate at once. Just manage your irrigation properly to increase your success ability. Mow high with a sharp blade to allow your turf to fight for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Great! Thanks for the reply Turfmd. I was hoping that I might be ok but the rate at which the rain came was cause for concern..

I knew I applied a little late.. but figured like you said... not all seeds germinate at the same time. Any point in applying pre-emergent again at all this spring? like in 6 weeks?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want to say no. But first. I don't want to assume things. What turf variety do you have. Are you worried about having weeds and things look good or are weeds problematic? How much sun. How much shade. What's your irrigation schedule like? Do you mow high with a sharp blade or low with a dull blade. Any specific problems now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been "rehabilitating" my st augustine yard for a few years now. When I purchased the house, the yard was overgrown with weeds. I have gotten the broadleaf weeds under control and am now working on grassy weeds. It also has bermuda invading.. will probably reach out to ric at some point to see if he can come knock that out ;-)

I also had some chinch bugs that I missed and their is one patchy area about 10' x 10' and a few spotty areas along the sidewalk suffering. Just applied cyonara yesterday to treat that.

I always mow with my platform at the top setting, ~4". Sharpen my blade once a month or so. I mow once a week lately, but during the summer that easily turns to twice a week. Haven't run irrigation but for a handful of times over the winter, as it didn't need it. I water deeply but only as needed. Getting ready to turn on the timer where it will run twice a week.

Overall, the grass looks OK. Lot's of promise. Just needs the right amount of TLC. It was looking great at the start of last year and thought I could lay off the chems. Bugs and weeds moved in. I really want to stay on top of it this year and keep it healthy.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention that I also sprayed Image to treat for grassy weeds.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh.. and it's all in full sun, south facing side of property. No shade. Thanks!!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The dimension will provide enough control for several months, if when you applied the blend, you went full rate. Absolutely use the cyonara if you identify chinch bug activity. To apply Image this time of year is not suggested. Active growth is happening and image will give several weeks of growth stress. Not very healthy. Besides Image is a sedge control product primarily. It's not greatly effective on grassy weeds. It does do well on dollar weed. It you continue your current cultural practices you should make the progress you desire. If we have a dry summer. You do not need to apply dimension again in the beginning of July. If the environment becomes more wet than normal you may benefit from another application July. Any ideas about the stress causing the chinch activity?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Hmm... I was misinformed. I was told to use image during active growth and before temps reach 90 deg. Worse yet, I don't have much dollar weed and I don't think I have nutsedge (been controlling effectively with Mansion, but haven't applied since last fall). I hope I'm not taking two steps back...

To tell the truth, I've been having trouble identifying exactly what grassy weeds I have (again w/ the misinformation bc I was told image was broad spectrum for grassy weeds). Pretty sure I have torpedo grass (lots of it) and some crab grass, goose grass and dallis. Not too mention the bermuda

Not sure about the chinch bugs.. chalked it up to not applying any insecticide last summer/fall. It is curious that the 10' x 10' patch is around a royal poincianna I planted last summer. Heard they can produce allelopathens and grass may have a hard time under them. I ok with it if that's the case. Those patches are bare now and haven't seen chinch bugs in that area. Although, along the side walks I have seen them and the grass pulls up easily.

Thanks so much again!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Image is a great product for over the top of certain ornamental's to control its labeled weeds, but for turf areas there are better products available for what you are doing that will provide better performance for your situation. If you are irrigating properly in conjunction with rainfall and your turfgrass requirements. Sedges should not be an issue allowing enough of the turf rootzone area to dry to a proper depth. Other broadleafs and unwanted grass species. Good luck with the torpedo grass. Chinch bugs target stress areas of turf. If you cannot correct the stress that is inviting the chinch activity. You will continue to retreat with insecticide because they will continue to focus in these areas.

Maby you should have ric do more than Bermuda focus.
Posted via Mobile Device