Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote Vehicle

Hello all, I have a question...my work truck is a 2nd gen dodge ram, it is clean, black, not lettered (yet), but is a gas guzzler and pretty loud. I have been out doing quite a bit of quotes and bidding (doing pretty good actually) and I have been thinking about driving my daily driver to quotes if I'm not coming to or from a job. My question is, it is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo...is it sending the message of I am expensive and want you to pay for my toys...or would it be OK and looked at as professional and representative of a company that's probably successful and good at what it does?

I just don't want to alienate some of my clientele. I am servicing/quoting housing from the mid 150's up to the 3M price range at the moment while trying to grow.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldnt drive that to an estimate. Number one thing when being a salesmen is to not come off like a rich guy not really 'needing' the work. People want to help you out giving you the business. At leased that how it was for me the first couple of years until people really wanted me to service their property with a quality standpoint.

Although, if you have a pretty good reputation for yourself. it would matter less.

To each his own. i would put a logo on the black truck and do estimates in that.

Unless you are doing drive by estimates and they dont know who you are if you drive by in the porsche.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-19-2014, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No.aybe go buy a small v6 gm that gets over 20mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Most people wouldn't know they were looking at a Porsche unless they were to read the back of it. I wouldn't worry about it, if you pull up to a house and have that "gut feeling" that you showing up in a Porsche will have a negative effect, just park across the street. If you pulled up in front of my house with it, I'd think it was a Hyundai Santa Fe from a distance.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I would think that this guy is doing pretty well for himself and must do quality work to drive a car like that. I wouldn't care one way or another.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think anyone would even notice. Even if they read the back of it, they still wouldn't know because they didn't start putting the Porsche name accross the back until 2010 or 2011 I believe. That looks like an '04, maybe a $20,000 car. Now if it was a flashy, $80,000 2011 or '12 Cayenne Turbo, I might refrain. But in all reality, how much better on gas is it really? The Cayenne probably only does a couple MPG's better than the Ram.

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane-pa View Post
I would think that this guy is doing pretty well for himself and must do quality work to drive a car like that. I wouldn't care one way or another.
Completely agree. Don't worry about it.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In the market you're working, it may not make a difference, as they likely have a premium product in their own garage. They'll enjoy the likeness or commonality. With my high-end clients, I never hear a negative word about my equipment. However, the commoners and competition never fail to say something. I always reply with "My stuff isn't fancy, it's just that I take care of everything I own.". I usually get no response and they switch the topic, as they realize they've put their foot in their mouth.

With the truck, I'd just get a quieter exhaust put on it, letter it up, and roll it as an alternative vehicle.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Completely agree. Don't worry about it.
+3. Wise words.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
Most people wouldn't know they were looking at a Porsche unless they were to read the back of it. I wouldn't worry about it, if you pull up to a house and have that "gut feeling" that you showing up in a Porsche will have a negative effect, just park across the street. If you pulled up in front of my house with it, I'd think it was a Hyundai Santa Fe from a distance.
HAHA, thats funny you say that...I cant tell you how many Santa Fe's I have approached saying oh look another Cayenne! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH1 View Post
I don't think anyone would even notice. Even if they read the back of it, they still wouldn't know because they didn't start putting the Porsche name accross the back until 2010 or 2011 I believe. That looks like an '04, maybe a $20,000 car. Now if it was a flashy, $80,000 2011 or '12 Cayenne Turbo, I might refrain. But in all reality, how much better on gas is it really? The Cayenne probably only does a couple MPG's better than the Ram.
Surprisingly better mileage actually. Mine is the twin turbo V8 and around town I usually get around 14-16 under normal to slightly spirited driving circumstances. Where as my truck is alot more tired and worn and does about 8-9 in town. It drinks gas bad. I know the engine is just worn out and consuming it, but it refuses to die and keeps pulling anything I put behind it!

Edit: and you are right, the depreciation on this thing was a *****!

Last edited by MDHomeSVCS; 03-19-2014 at 11:31 PM.