Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On the fence about an employee. Need help.

Here is a bit of history-

Employee #1 has been with me about a year. He has seen his fair share of people get fired, but has always adjusted and worked well. This year I noticed his work ethic going down hill. He was also not following numerous company policies (small ones, but still...). The only reason I hadn't fired him earlier in the year is because I was going through a lot of people as his helper (had 3 others quit/get fired) and needed him so that I didn't have to look for 2 people. So my thought was as long as he shows up to work, that's just about all I cared about.

So for the past month, he has been working with employee #2, who just gave me his notice yesterday and that he was leaving at the end of the week. He explained he got another job offer, but, his reason to take the offer was because he was with employee #1. He said employee #1's work ethic is lazy, he's always on his phone, takes too long to do his job, complains, and creates drama. Employee #2 said since he's paid a percentage of the daily sale, he's losing money because employee #1 works slow. Route days that could have been done in 6 hours was taking 8.

Next year I plan to switch to 1 man solo routes. Part of it is to eliminate the drama in the truck between stops, and stop the "cancer" when one bad employee has such a downer attitude he ends up corrupting a good employee. But, my problem now is- do I let employee #1 go? It's already August, so trying to find someone to show up the rest of the year may be rough. Or, do I let him finish out the year and not have him back next year?

Any help would be great.

My picture thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=447796

USMC grunt. Semper Fi.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If employee 2 is actually better than 1, fire 1 and keep 2.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do not like solo routes. Too many things can happen in the field.

I agree, make a counter offer to # 2 guy and dump the problem.

Google Plus

Google Reviews
Old 08-04-2015, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
If employee 2 is actually better than 1, fire 1 and keep 2.
Employee 2 has already taken the other job and has already decided to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
I do not like solo routes. Too many things can happen in the field.

I agree, make a counter offer to # 2 guy and dump the problem.
I agree, there are many things that can happen in the field as a solo route, but I also know that it can work. Proper policies will help with that. But- thats a future thread.

My issue is, what do I do with employee #1? I'll be hiring someone else to mow with him, but I assume the same problem will happen. Just this morning I went to a house to check his work and the trimming was never done. He claimed he did it...which isn't the first lie I've caught him in.

USMC grunt. Semper Fi.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Either lose #1 or start losing customers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2015, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Employee 1 needs to go asap. If 2 won't stick with you if you bump his pay, then find two new employees. You've probably been having problems losing employees due to employee 1 all this time. He's a cancer. Remove it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2015, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss View Post
Either lose #1 or start losing customers
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabisnes View Post
Employee 1 needs to go asap. If 2 won't stick with you if you bump his pay, then find two new employees. You've probably been having problems losing employees due to employee 1 all this time. He's a cancer. Remove it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you guys are spot on and put a lot into perspective.

Looks like employee #1 will be going.

Thanks for the help.

USMC grunt. Semper Fi.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Employee 2 has already taken the other job and has already decided to move on.

I agree, there are many things that can happen in the field as a solo route, but I also know that it can work. Proper policies will help with that. But- thats a future thread.

My issue is, what do I do with employee #1? I'll be hiring someone else to mow with him, but I assume the same problem will happen. Just this morning I went to a house to check his work and the trimming was never done. He claimed he did it...which isn't the first lie I've caught him in.
Sack this employee now, you may have to cover the route on your own until
you hirer and train his replacement.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Here is a bit of history-

Employee #1 has been with me about a year. He has seen his fair share of people get fired, but has always adjusted and worked well. This year I noticed his work ethic going down hill. He was also not following numerous company policies (small ones, but still...). The only reason I hadn't fired him earlier in the year is because I was going through a lot of people as his helper (had 3 others quit/get fired) and needed him so that I didn't have to look for 2 people. So my thought was as long as he shows up to work, that's just about all I cared about.

So for the past month, he has been working with employee #2, who just gave me his notice yesterday and that he was leaving at the end of the week. He explained he got another job offer, but, his reason to take the offer was because he was with employee #1. He said employee #1's work ethic is lazy, he's always on his phone, takes too long to do his job, complains, and creates drama. Employee #2 said since he's paid a percentage of the daily sale, he's losing money because employee #1 works slow. Route days that could have been done in 6 hours was taking 8.

Next year I plan to switch to 1 man solo routes. Part of it is to eliminate the drama in the truck between stops, and stop the "cancer" when one bad employee has such a downer attitude he ends up corrupting a good employee. But, my problem now is- do I let employee #1 go? It's already August, so trying to find someone to show up the rest of the year may be rough. Or, do I let him finish out the year and not have him back next year?

Any help would be great.
DUDE you've been doing this to yourself ALL year; and you're asking yourself if you should keep doing it??? Employee #2 is the first one who TOLD you he's quitting because of #1.... NOT the first one to leave BECAUSE of #1. Fire #1 today and make a deal with #2 if he thinks he can do all of his and #1's work to stay he gets to split half of what #1 would have made with you.

Who cares if it takes him 10 hours? he got a 50% pay increase.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the fact that employee #2 has already accepted a job is irrelevant, he already accepted YOURs first... he's currently working there.

So you can still change that, he can tell the new employer "so sorry, current boss made a better counter offer"

Im serious with the solo route... offer #2 a 50% pay increase.... I bet he will stay.