Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2015, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

instagram accounts

i know alot of you guys have a facebook account for your business but do any of you have a instagram account to advertise your business ?
echo trimmers and blowers
NLMCT.COM
Old 03-15-2015, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont. Im not sure how I'd benefit from it either
Old 03-15-2015, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

to show off your work and maybe gain a customer or 2 its free advertising ... you can post pics of your work special offers... idk im gonna try it i was just seeing if anyone has done it and gotten anything outta it
NLMCT.COM
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

who sees it, without being one of my followers first? I dont get it.

Potential customer is laying on his couch thinking to himself 'lets search lawn care companies in my city' ?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am lost
Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

customers can see it family and friends and maybe see a special and refer your work to someone they know its just another way to get your business out there for free
NLMCT.COM
Old 03-15-2015, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to directly gain customers from instagram most likely not. But it does help with your SEO as its a part of social media which is important to organic SEO. Just like things like twitter and facebook. Are you going to directly get a client, maybe but probably not. Your goal is to drive those potential clients to your website. Once here ideally you have a good design, with good content and pictures that will get them interested and either A pick up the phone or B fill out a contact forum.

Do a google search on instagram and seo as well as social media and SEO.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to decide if the demographics make sense for you. http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/i...op/#more-79522

The stat that jumps out at me is "only 18% of Baby Boomers (ages 45 to 60) and 10% of those 60 and older used Instagram in the past month." Most of my customer base is 45-65 so I'm not sure how much I'd weight Instagram.

That said, it's what, 90 seconds out of your day to snap a pic of a great landscape install or something your audience would identify and upload it, so it's pretty low stakes to try it.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
You need to decide if the demographics make sense for you.

The stat that jumps out at me is "only 18% of Baby Boomers (ages 45 to 60) and 10% of those 60 and older used Instagram in the past month." Most of my customer base is 45-65 so I'm not sure how much I'd weight Instagram.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
That said, it's what, 90 seconds out of your day to snap a pic of a great landscape install or something your audience would identify and upload it, so it's pretty low stakes to try it.
And there's the rub. Taking a picture that's worthy of sharing, and being shared, seems to be very difficult for the majority. Easy litmus test to see if Instagram or Pinterest are for you... Go to your own web sites and Facebook pages and look at the photos.

1. Are you using stock photos or "stuff I found on the web"?
2. If they are your own photos, are they legitimately good, interesting, and shareable? If you think so, now bring in a second set of eyes. Not your wife. Not your Mom. Find someone in your target demographic and ask them.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Instagram seems to make less sense for brands- it remains primarily "social". Pinterest, from my experience, is more biz friendly. Pins travel very quickly, and people are actually looking for products and home improvement ideas there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Instagram seems to make less sense for brands- it remains primarily "social". Pinterest, from my experience, is more biz friendly. Pins travel very quickly, and people are actually looking for products and home improvement ideas there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Social Media Examiner had a great podcast a couple months ago talking about one business owner's Instagram strategy that was crushing it, but that's the rub - it was a strategy. She had an editorial calendar and was creating a ton of awesome content. It was also a strategy that pulled from her existing reader base, and pushed new people to her awesome online offerings. So I think if you don't already have an awesome website that gives people a reason to keep coming back, a strategy and goal in mind, and a solid editorial calendar so you know what you're doing every day and why it'll work - eh. I wouldn't expect much.