Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
The Porsche just sends the wrong message. Heck I want to wrap an SSR to use for sales calls and I think it is to much. Nice clean truck or small car professionally lettered. No magnetic signs, they tell the world you are a part timer. No offense to you guys with magnetics but I always wonder how many different sets you have. One for mowing, one for painting, one for a handyman service etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
there was a time not long ago, when everyone had those…some people still holding on to them like 8 track tapes, demanding that they are making a come back…

We didn't have so many sets to switch them out, as much as we had them fro replacements because they kept falling off!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Sponsor

I can see both. I personally wouldnt drive it to a quote. When I had a bmw back in the day I would switch cars at home to the truck or my roommates Taurus to take to a quote. Solid car though! Love Porsche. I liked the feel of on par with the people I was quoting, not saying they were beneath me by any means, just how I kinda saw it being that our industry typically does not have the nicer side of things when we show up to work. Now pulling up at a million dollar house to quote? The porsche would definitely make a better impression, than at an average ranch type house.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 03-21-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
customers expect to see, what they expect to see.
I've pulled my trailer, loaded, to do bigger presentations. I want the prospective customer to see I have the equipment and know they can depend on me for their work.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
there was a time not long ago, when everyone had those…some people still holding on to them like 8 track tapes, demanding that they are making a come back…

We didn't have so many sets to switch them out, as much as we had them fro replacements because they kept falling off!
They may be like 8-track tapes. But I rock a set on the back tail gate and both sides of the truck. Got a catch phrase at the top, a list of my services, and a contact number. I get calls at the red light, on the job, and in fact, I had one woman see my magnets today at the red light and roll her window down and asked if I had a card on me. I followed her around the corner, a quick chat, and sold a service. One more account marked on my marketing list thanks go the goold ol' 8-tracks. By the way, I've yet to have one fall off. Mine are on 24/7 besides when I wash the truck. Even hauled a load of compost last week and this week, got the tail gate all muddy washing them on and left them on there and they still stuck. I paid $47.00 for three of the thicker mil magnets, much thicker than what Vista Print sells. That $47.00 paid itself off within the first week.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've pulled my trailer, loaded, to do bigger presentations. I want the prospective customer to see I have the equipment and know they can depend on me for their work.

Makes sense. Funny story, I took the Prius just the other day to bid a job. The guy asks, "Do I have to supply the equipment? Or do you have your own equipment?" I almost rolled on the floor laughing in front of him. And then politely asked, did you ask that because of the Prius? Yepp!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Makes sense. Funny story, I took the Prius just the other day to bid a job. The guy asks, "Do I have to supply the equipment? Or do you have your own equipment?" I almost rolled on the floor laughing in front of him. And then politely asked, did you ask that because of the Prius? Yepp!
Brilliant!

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-22-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
They may be like 8-track tapes. But I rock a set on the back tail gate and both sides of the truck. Got a catch phrase at the top, a list of my services, and a contact number. I get calls at the red light, on the job, and in fact, I had one woman see my magnets today at the red light and roll her window down and asked if I had a card on me. I followed her around the corner, a quick chat, and sold a service. One more account marked on my marketing list thanks go the goold ol' 8-tracks. By the way, I've yet to have one fall off. Mine are on 24/7 besides when I wash the truck. Even hauled a load of compost last week and this week, got the tail gate all muddy washing them on and left them on there and they still stuck. I paid $47.00 for three of the thicker mil magnets, much thicker than what Vista Print sells. That $47.00 paid itself off within the first week.
Why wouldn't you letter or wrap your truck if they are on 24/7?

Just curious.........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you guys have small 4 cylinder trucks over there? Found one… http://www.toyota.com/configurator/#!/series/tacoma/
Its not only a quote vehicle but also back up, take tools, plants, a little mulch or what ever to jobs in an emergency. Bit more practical than just a car and is what customer would expect you to rock up in!

The thought of going to a quote in a Porsche I think sends the wrong message, like the guy on here some time ago that used a Hummer to tow his trailer! Tosser or poser comes to mind! Im talking for work, not daily drive!

I would also assume (right or wrongly) that servicing/running costs would be much greater on a car like that as opposed to a normal everyday small truck or car.

All that said, there is a cost involved in buying a dedicated quote vehicle. Lets say $20k. Thats a lot of fuel to burn in your current truck to make up the difference.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I use for my quote vehicle. Going to wrap it this year.

P.S. Plow is not attached, but would be cool as heck if it was...and it worked.
Attached Images

Greensboro NC
Old 03-23-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I always have mine fall off…I think its because they get cold?