Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Custom tool rack and thank you!

I have been lurking around here for a while now. Searching for all the ways people hang, store their hand tools and the like. I have included a few pictures on how I installed my wheelbarrow and long handled tools on my dump trailer. The whole thing didn't cost $40.00 at the most. I made it out of 2 10'X2" PVC pipe and 1-2"X4"X8' treated board and some nuts, bolts and screws. I did have to custom fab a 1/8" piece of Aluminum to hold the wheelbarrow, but that was it. I also wanted to thank everyone on this site for the stuff I have learned and applied to my work. Here are a few pics of my rack. If you have any questions about them please feel free to ask. I want to help. -Jason
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pretty smart i see some things i can do to me set-up
Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like what you have done! I would maybe look at doing something a little more secure to hold the wheelbarrow other than the straps. I have seen straps fail too many times. Do you use any d-handle tools (shovels, forks, etc)? If so, how do you hold them on the trailer?
Western 8.5 MVP
Dodge 2500 V10
JD X485 AWS
JD X729 4x4WS
JD X739 4x4WS
Z550 60" TF
Toro PP 21
JDX26
Echo/Stihl/Husqvarna
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laner View Post
I like what you have done! I would maybe look at doing something a little more secure to hold the wheelbarrow other than the straps. I have seen straps fail too many times. Do you use any d-handle tools (shovels, forks, etc)? If so, how do you hold them on the trailer?
I use the straps as a secondary method. If you look closer I have barrel bolts ( the things you use for sheds) securing the wheelbarrow on each side. I do use D handles. I haven't figured out how to mount them yet but I am working on it. I will post pictures when I get them done. -Jason
Old 09-02-2009, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotdiesel2 View Post
I use the straps as a secondary method. If you look closer I have barrel bolts ( the things you use for sheds) securing the wheelbarrow on each side. I do use D handles. I haven't figured out how to mount them yet but I am working on it. I will post pictures when I get them done. -Jason
Excellent! I missed those when I looked. Great job on your tool rack! Keeps everything handy and organized.
Western 8.5 MVP
Dodge 2500 V10
JD X485 AWS
JD X729 4x4WS
JD X739 4x4WS
Z550 60" TF
Toro PP 21
JDX26
Echo/Stihl/Husqvarna
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been searching for a solution for my trailer, and this looks great. Only problem is - my PJ has a large lip over the front of the trailer for the tarp to mount underneath. I don't have the tarp but I would have to cut holes in this lip for the PVC to go through. I'll figure something out.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same idea I've been planning on doing for my hand tools. Glad to see it works before I make mine. Plan on doing the same thing for my kombi attachments. Do you conduit clamps will work for the PVC pipe?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also how does the paint hold up and what kind is it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Almost 5 years later and everything is still good. Nothing has broken with medium duty work. As far as the paint, it is krylon plastic paint and it is so so. It needs painted again. It is on the front of a dump trailer getting rocks and all kinds of crap thrown at it. I didn't use conduit claps to mount mine, I just drilled big holes in the front of the pipe and small holes in the back and screwed them into the wood. As far as your lip on your PJ you might be able to off set your tubes with something to get them out of the way of the lip. -Jason
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I may just put the pvc on the inside of the trailer body and skip cutting through the lip.

We bolted "heavy duty grease gun holders" onto our bark blower to hold mulch forks and scoops. They work really well and I may pick a few up to hold a few tools on the wooden side extensions for my dump trailer.