Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you advertise,bid jobs, and work when your only one guy?

Starting a sealcoating business this summer and I'm working alone. Was wondering if any of guys have any input on how I can utilize my time the best being a one man operation. How should I divvied up my time with work and placing bids?

I know how to sealcoat since I have worked a couple of years with a we'll known company out in my area. They showed how to seal, I just perfected it better then them. I'm just stumped how I can save time and money doing both tasks. Thank
Old 03-19-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

You do not sleep! Bid out as much as you can on your down time , or find yourself a retired sealcoater that can sell pots and pans to the homeless and pay him a percentage
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Easy, up at 6am. Kids out the door by 7:30. Service equipment, unload yesterday's debris until 9:30 or so. Make lunch. Leave at 10:00. Pick up supplies, look at new jobs on way to first job. Arrive at first job at 11:00. Look dumb when asked why you weren't there at 7:30. Work until 7 8 or 9pm. Stop at grocery store on way home. Get shower. Eat dinner. Do paper work. Do dishes. Fall into bed at midnight.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

That pretty much sums it up. And when you hire people to do the jobs you think will save you time...... you just get busy with other aspects of the business.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

The more you hire in your place, you end up twice as busy ,all together you have to learn time management
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm almost wondering if I paid for google earth I could give a rough estimates over the phone on jobs maybe? I'm almost thinking about seeing if I could teach my girl how to bid jobs since she does 3 days on, 4 days off of work and rotating shifts each week. She could save me a lot of time doing bids for me on her off days. That way even when I paid her, money stays in the family. I still have thinking to do on this.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini sealcoat View Post
Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm almost wondering if I paid for google earth I could give a rough estimates over the phone on jobs maybe? I'm almost thinking about seeing if I could teach my girl how to bid jobs since she does 3 days on, 4 days off of work and rotating shifts each week. She could save me a lot of time doing bids for me on her off days. That way even when I paid her, money stays in the family. I still have thinking to do on this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini sealcoat View Post
I have done bids via Google earth thinking it would save time. It bit me in the butt. I completely underbided it. I didnt realize that the property was bigger than what I can see on the internet. If you do bids via Google earth think worse case scenario. I have Google earthed yards that look great and I physically show up there and it is a dump.
Snapper mowers
Craftsman lawn tractor
Husqvarna weed eater & blower
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Echo long reach hedge trimmer
Echo bearcat yard vaccum
Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

If your girl can walk the talk ,you got it made, my daughter has the gift of sales and knows all the prosses and information for sealcating and line striping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Your bids are always best when done right on site,#1 you have personal contact #2 you get the entire layout up close I agree with yclawncare google will bite you
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
seal coating , sealer